Author Topic: Richard Waller - painter  (Read 19651 times)

Offline ketts1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Waller - painter
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 August 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
Richard Waller gets several mentions in the Leeds Mercury in the 1870s and 80s, not sure which of these you have seen, but just in case:-

1870 - painted Charles McGaret for display in Town Hall, Larne, NI
1877 - painted Mr Joseph Holdsworth
1878 - painted Col Forter CB for Henry F Burmester of Leominster, article also states that the Town Hall contains several portraits by him of successive mayors, and that in his gallery there are pictures of Lord Cairns, Garibaldi, Phelps & Ben Webster, also a painting entitled "Mars welcoming Venus"
1882 - the portrait of the member of Leominster was Thomas Blake
1882 - exhibited portraits of Thomas Dawson and Miss Pierson at the Leeds Art Exhibition
1882 - Bond & Barwick were the solicitors for his estate
1882 - Hepper & Sons were the auctioneers for the sale of the Tools, Plant & Patents at the Moor Foundry, Elland Rd, Holbeck from the his estate

He appears to have moved his studios from Commercial St, Leeds to Tower Buildings on Woodhouse Lane, and he advertised around 1880 for students

I believe most of the Town Hall paintings were moved to the new Leeds Civic Hall in the 1930s, the Mayors department there has a list of all the portraits and the artists, and were very helpful when I spoke to them last year.

The portrait of the bearded man which I hope is William Kettlewell is about 36"x28", so may not be the self-portrait which was catalogued, and which is significantly larger.

I hope some of this is useful. Paul

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 August 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
I have the newspaper articles from the British Library but have not had a chance to add them to my list or do much work on expanding the list.

Am disappointed that the picture is not Richard; I have had it in my mind for a few years since I was sent it that I was looking at him; I will have to continue the research and hope that using the obituary as a starting point for possible places to start looking for things..but as it is 130 years old it won't be easy.

Offline ketts1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 August 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
There is another obituary here in "A History of Skipton"

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofskipton00daws#page/263/mode/1up

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 August 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
That was the first printed article I found, not sure there is much else to find as I have exhausted Google, its the paintings that are the obscure things

Offline fourways

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 September 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
My mother in law has a self portrait and a bust of Richard Waller. Her great grandfather was Joseph Waller, born 1835, and her grandmother was Ann Waller, born 1878. Is this the same family?

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 September 10 23:29 BST (UK) »
Richard's mother was Ann Waller but she only had two children; Richard and Charles (my gg grandfather), I am unaware of any other children as they were classed as illegitimate and there is no record of a father

What other information do you have? Where born etc?  Richard Waller was married and had one daughter both dying in 1840/1

I am aware that 2 or 3 self portraits were painted of "my" Richard but have never seen one (although up until recently a picture I had I had believed was him as I was told by gallery it was).  If you have further proof as to a possible relationship then please let me know.

Offline fourways

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 September 10 06:54 BST (UK) »
Do you have any record of the children of either Richard or Charles? Was there a Joseph among them?  We do know that we have works here of a Richard Waller, painter, of Victorian times, who lived up north. We also know that he was a descendant of General Waller, who was one of the signatories on the death warrant of King Charles.

Offline Piltdown_man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 September 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
I have no Josephs amongst the ones I have recorded but it seems odd that there would be two Richard Waller's who were painters.  Richard had one child called Isabella but she died in 1841 of TB, his wife Mary died a few months earlier, unless he did have an illegitimate child I have no further information

Have you read my other posts for more information?  I do have his obituary if you have not seen which might give more info.  There were claims in that he was related to some of the Waller's involved in the civil war and had land that was taken away (saying owned part of Skipton castle if my memory serves me right)

I did a quick search and Sir Hardress Waller was the signatory on the death warrant but seemed to be involved in Ireland rather than the north of England; I could be wrong but there are records available online that have been transcribed from the Parish Records; I have looked at these and believed these to be as accurate as those really old records could be.

I would be interested in any information you have; if you can provide something it will then be able to see if my information ties in with yours.

You say you have works of Richard Waller; what ones and how many?

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 September 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Piltdown man

Sorry to but in, but I've been looking frantically for a Richard James Waller.  He is obviously not your Richard Waller as he was born 1886, but his father was called Richard and at one time they lived in Bolton, Lancashire.

My Richard James Waller was married to a Grace Marion Thirtle Cooke and was in the Royal Army Medical Corps in the 1st World War.  His occupation was - Actor.

Just wondered if you knew of a connection.

Mo