Author Topic: Mary WOOD Baptism circa 1738 Swefling  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary WOOD Baptism circa 1738 Swefling
« on: Saturday 30 January 10 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for a baptism that likely took place in Swefling (also known as Rendham I believe) about 1738 of a Mary Wood.

Mary was the daughter of non-conformist minister Rev Samuel Wood- minister in Swefling/Rendham from 1732 to 1747, when he then moved to Norwich.

I am hoping to find her baptism in order to confirm her birth date, possibly find some siblings, and most of all in the hopes of finding out her mothers name.....and then of course track down her parents marriage!!!

If anyone can I help i would be very grateful- I have tried bmdregisters website, with no luck but i am also just getting used to their site. Nothing on IGI and I dont really know where else to go for records of this era....

Fingers crossed!! Thanks
Kylie
PS Mary Wood married Rev Samuel Newton in Norwich in 1760 and they had several son's, one of whom was also a Rev Samuel Newton (of Norwich and Bath).

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Wood Baptism circa 1738 Swefling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kylie,
Sweffling and Rendham are two distinct and separate parishes, each with their own parish church. See www.suffolkchurches.co.uk
Rendham has an old congregational church which closed many years ago. In 1980 when my work first covered those villages, it was already closed.
Hephzibah.
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmmm
Now thats confusing as I have found 3 or 4 references on Rev Samuel Wood that have said 'of Swefling (also known as Rendham)' or visa versa....

I wonder if this means he ministered at both?? if they are not the same parish...what do you think??

This lot is absolutely NOT straight forward!!!! And the fact they keep the same family name Samuel going in multiple genrerations is not helping me either!! ???

Kylie

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 10 10:53 GMT (UK) »
According to 'My Ancestors were Congregationalists' by David J.H.Clifford, there are Records for Rendham Congregational Church (1650-1952) Christenings 1723-1838 & Burials 1765-1803, at Ipswich & Bury Record Offices. There is listed a chapel or congregation(?) at Sweffling (1671) but there are 'no known records'. As you said, it is likely the minister had charge of both chapels.
If you look on 'The National Archives' (Access to Archives) website it will tell you the records available for Rendham Congregational Chapel
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Possible?
From the IGI, extracted record;
Mary WOOD, christened 27 April 1739, Independant, Rendham, Suffolk
Parents, SAML. and MARY
Unfortunately she is the only one on the batch.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The extracted record from the IGI looks promising- and I would be able to confirm it from the records at Ipswich by the sounds of things.

I noticed the records for Rendham dont include marriages....which means if this IS the right Mary Wood- her parents must have married elsewhere, if marriages were not being conducted at Rendham.

I have read that the non-confirmist ministers did not perform marriages, only baptisms and burials, so I guess that would fit....so where might the marriage have taken place....Bury??

Will check out the Archives, and take another look at the IGI- thanks ladies

Kylie

Offline RosMGreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary WOOD Baptism circa 1738 Swefling
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 November 15 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been living in Rendham Congregational Church (The Chapel as it's now known) for 24 years and am currently doing my own research on it. The original chapel or meeting house was established in a cottage in Sweffling. It then moved to Rendham (Wisdom Hill). The adjacent Manse was built first (1732), and The Chapel was finally completed in 1750. It finally closed its doors in 1977 when one of the last 8 Electors died. Oddly, my NZ partner's ancestor the hymn writer Dr Isaac Watt's donated money towards the construction of The Chapel - we had no idea when we bought it! Apparently up to 600 people worshiped here on occasions. If anyone knows anything about The Chapel please do get in touch.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 November 15 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros- how fascinating!! And amazing to hear about the family connection to the chapel too! I don't know anything about the building I'm afraid. ...do you know anything about minister samuel wood and his family by any chance??

Really thrilled to hear the chapel still exists and is being lived in!

Kylie

Offline RosMGreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 November 15 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie, I only know that Rev Samuel Wood was in correspondence with Dr Isaac Watts, and I suspect it was that relationship that led to the hymn writer donating money for the building of The Chapel. I'm off to the Suffolk Record's Office. I'll keep you posted if I find out anything...