Author Topic: brown family Ireland  (Read 5766 times)

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
brown family Ireland
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:11 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for anything at all on
andrew brown & mrs margaret brown
andrew was born 08/03/1805 slacks grove monaghan ireland
and he married 1839 ireland
and they had 3 kids
james brown born 1840 ireland
nicholas brown born 1842 ireland
ann brown born 1849 ireland

andrew parents where robert brown & esther
and they where married 1788 abt ireland

i came over to ireland last year and went to monaghan and i did some searching myself and i spoke to the people who have the records about 6 months before i came over so they had time to look for all the stuff i was wanting.. so when i got there they told me i had no hope at all of getting anything about my brown family from ireland.. i would love to know when the brown family moved to the usa and did all the family go or was it just some of them.. as the father robert brown died in the usa 1823. but 1 of his sons got married in girvan in scotland in 1851. and as you can see andrew got married in ireland.. and 1 of robert brown daughters isabella brown got married in the usa in 1815.. and i think 1 more of his sons got married in ireland as well.. so any help would be good as i have been stuck with this side of the family for 4 years now and i am getting nowhere at all with them

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: brown family Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on the LDS site? The whole family is there!

Birth; 8th Mar  1805 Andrew son, Robert + Esther Brown, Slack's Grove, which is now called Hollywood! Robert died in Ohio in 1823.

They attended Tydavnet/Tedavnet church.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 10 07:34 GMT (UK) »
yes i have all that but it only give you some of there births dates and some are just the year.. i want to find out if all the family went to the usa as it is funny how joseph brown born 1821 ireland and his dad died 1823 in the usa. and joseph got married in scotland.. and i would love to know there mothers last name.. i have sent emails to all the register offices in ireland and everyone has told me that they would not have anything from that time as all the records got burnt.. but people keep telling me that you can get them.. i have tried ancestry.co.uk and .com. and i could not get anything at all. i have tried the boat records to the usa as well.and i did not find anything. i got told that there are still browns that belong to me living in ireland.. but the person that told me will not do anything for me.. unless i type everything in proper english..
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 10 08:01 GMT (UK) »
i have sent emails to all the register offices in ireland and everyone has told me that they would not have anything from that time as all the records got burnt.. but people keep telling me that you can get them.. i have tried ancestry.co.uk and .com. and i could not get anything at all. i have tried the boat records to the usa as well.and i did not find anything.
First of all, civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages)- none of those records have been destroyed.
Second, Ancestry have very few Irish records (as you've discovered).
Not sure what you mean by 'boat records' but if you do mean Ellis Island- covers New York arrivals only (online 1892-1924 at www.ellisisland.org). For records before 1892 you need to check www.castlegarden.org (Castle Garden was the old arrival point before Ellis Island).
However, New York was not the only port- there was Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore on the east coast for example. Some records for Philadelphia and Boston are on Ancestry (more about passenger lists below).

Now, to your particular search.
In Irish research the information you are looking for is scarse and may not exist but there are things to check.

There will be no birth certificates before 1864 so you'll need to search for church records (if they exist). To do so you need to know both where the family lived and their religion. Then see if the local church/churches have records back to the period you need.
Church of Ireland records for Tydavnet do exist - births, marriages and deaths from 1822 are in local custody which means you need to contact the church.
Catholic records for Tydavnet: births from Nov.1835, marriages from Apr.1825 (records 1865-1876 missing)
Earliest Record: B. 11.1835; M. 4.1825
Not sure what Presbyterian church would cover that area but the churches are listed (and the R.C. and C.of I. details I've listed above) are found through one of the links under RESOURCES.

Griffith's Valuation was also suggested in one of your earlier posts.

Have a look at the RESOURCES on MONAGHAN board here-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,9005.0.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 10 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on the LDS site? The whole family is there!
Birth; 8th Mar  1805 Andrew son, Robert + Esther Brown, Slack's Grove, which is now called Hollywood! Robert died in Ohio in 1823.
They attended Tydavnet/Tedavnet church.

The LDS records for this family are submitted which means they may not be accurate.

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 10 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.
well All The Family Are Protestants.
And The Last Birth Was 1821. All The Family Where Born
Slacks Grove Monaghan Ireland.

I Got The Information  From LDS Site
Sorry I Meant To Put
Imigrated To Guernsey .Co.Ohio
As That is Where The Father Died in 1823
And I Have One Of His Daughters Getting Married
There AsWell In 26/07/1815 To James Clements So I Have All Of His Family Right Up Till Today.. I Will Try Again And See If I Can Find Anything About My Brown Family From Ireland.. I Have Asked The Church. I Sent Them An Email But I Have Never Got Anything Back From Them At All. And That Was 6 Months Ago I Sent The Last one all in i have sent 4 emails to them and never got anythnig back From Them.. I Went Last Year To Monaghan.. And I Went To Clones As That Is Where The Library Is And I Was There For 1 Hour With The Lady And She Could Not Find Anything At All.. I Had Been In Contact With Her For 7 Months Before I Went To Ireland So She New What I Was Looking For.. Before I Went But I Got Nothing At All.. It Was The Place In Belfast That Put Me Onto Clones And Told Me That Is Where I Had To Go To Get My Family Search Done.. I Have Been Stuck With The Ireland Bit Of My Family Now For 3 Years And I Am Getting Know Where Fast With Them At All.. I Have Tried Every Site I Can Think Of And When I Look At The Imigration I Get Know Where At All.. So If They Left Ireland To Go To The Usa And They Ended Up In Gurnsey Ohio. Where Would They Have Landed Do . Thank You All For Getting Back To Me On This

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 February 10 09:30 GMT (UK) »
"but the person that told me will not do anything for me.. unless i type everything in proper english.. "

Never heard anything SO RIDICULOUS!! What idiot said that?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 February 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
The information from the IGI is submitted so needs to be checked, rather than basing the start of your research on it.
I would be a bit concerned about the dates the family seem to be in Ireland and then in Ohio.
Not sure what church you wrote to but most ministers are extremely busy (often have more than one church to look after) and don't have the time or inclination to respond to numerous queries about what might or might not be in their records.

I think it would make your posts easier for us to read if you didn't run so many sentances together and used capital letters for proper nouns (places and people's names).