Author Topic: Regiments located at York 1770s  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Regiments located at York 1770s
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Subsequent pension records from Kilmarnham indicate that my 2XGGF John Luffman was born at York in 1776. I believe that if this is correct his father may have been stationed there with a military unit. Is there any way I can establish which units were stationed there at this time please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Regiments located at York 1770s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
The 2nd (Royal North British) Regiment of Dragoons, later known as the Royal Scots Greys. Also the 11th Regiment of Dragoons, later 11th Hussars. You will have to go to Kew and check the muster rolls.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=3156896&SearchInit=4&CATREF=wo12%2F509

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=3157363&SearchInit=4&CATREF=wo12%2F976

There may have been others, so I would ask at York Record Office, as they may have a military history of the area.

He may also have been in the Militia. These were organised locally, so you should check with the record office covering York. They had a form of conscription so some records might remain.

Ken

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Regiments located at York 1770s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response KM. The records of the 11th Dragoons look promising as the surname I am researching Luffman is at its most common in southern England, particularly Dorset, Hampshire, Somerset and Wiltshire, and with their museum locatedc in Winchester this does look the most likely of the two. I am continuing to search for other regiments as you suggest. The Scottish Regiments seem to be unlikely as even today there is only one family with this surname living in Scotland, and they migrated there from Hampshire!
I am in the process of checking with both the York Record Office and with the York FHS. Thanks again.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)