Author Topic: Worms in Ontario  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Worms in Ontario
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

After several years on researching ancestors who never moved more that 10 miles from their birth place, I have finally got an off shoot who have connections to Ontario.  I would appreciate any help, advice and hand-holding through Canadian archives!

The story is as follows:

There had been a family legend that my gt grandmother's cousin was a Governor of a province which, after much searching, simply couldn't be proven.  However this afternoon, I stumbled across a passenger manifesto which showed his profession to be retired Police Chief.  With the aid of google, I have found that Robert William Worm (born 1889, Kings Lynn reg dist) was the Police Chief of Wallaceburg, Kent County, Ontario.

I haven't been able to find when he originally went out to Canada (sometime after 1901) or whether he was married, or when he died (after 1959).

However, it appears that possibly his father had been out in Ontario (York County).  His father was also called Robert Worm (bn c. 1821, Norfolk - possibly Stratton Strawless).  He married Mary Ann Abbs in 1844 in Stratton Strawless, but then disappears from the radar until he marries my gt gt grandfather's sister (gt gt gt aunt?) Ada Tomes in 1886, in Norwich.  I haven't got their marriage cert, so I don't know if he says he is a widower.

On the 1881 Candaian census, there is a Robert and Mary Worm, both aged 59, born England, living in Brockton, York West, Ontario.

Is there anyway I can find out how long they had been in Canada, when Mary Worm died, and whether they had any children?

Thank you for reading!

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worms in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
hi spider i found a robert and mary ann worm on the 1851 canadian census in canada ontario same ages

kerry
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:17 GMT (UK) »
on the 1871 census they had a son named robert he was 14 born in 1857 in england

kerry

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is fab!  So that narrows down their arrival in Canada to between 1844 and 1851.  I wonder if there were some assisted passage type schemes going on at that time.  Looking through the resources links, it doesn't look as if I'll find a passenger manifest for them though.

Am I able to view the 1851 census or do I need a subs?

Added - so they were in Canada for the 1851, nipped back to have a son, and returned for 1871.   Curiouser and curiouser!

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:27 GMT (UK) »
yes you need a sub for canadian census, i was wondering why it said he was born in england?

just looked again and on the 1881 census of canada they have florance 4, william 2, and baby worm female :)

kerry

sorry forgot to say these are robert the youngers children ;D

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Aaah!  A baby Worm  ;D

Although on the 1881 census, they are giving their ethnic origin as Scottish  :-\

I just had a quick look on freebmd, and I can't see a birth registration for Robert Worm in 1857 in England or Wales

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:42 GMT (UK) »
on the 1881 census it says younger robert was born in new brunswick but his nationality is scottish?

his occupation is a brocksmith.

his wife who is called mary, says exactly the same she is 3 yrs younger than robert

kerry

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:43 GMT (UK) »
they all say the same even baby worm ;D

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »

yes you need a sub for canadian census,

No you don't  :)

You can view the 1851, 1901, 1906 and 1911 for free at www.automatedgenealogy.com

You can also see the 1871, 1881 and 1891 for free at Library and Archvies Canada

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/search-recherche/anc.php?Language=eng

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!