Author Topic: help finding HOPKIN SIMS 1777?  (Read 5418 times)

Offline pedroparker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help finding HOPKIN SIMS 1777?
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:31 GMT (UK) »
hi,

can anyone help me find where my relative is from and where he was baptised?

It is believed that he may have come from llansamlet as most other family members do, but there is no record of him being baptised in llansamlet church or the nearby cwm chapel.

We know from various records that he was born 1777 and died 1868.

He married 4 times:
1) Elizabeth Thomas 8/5/1802
2) Hannah Morgan 29/12/1806
3) Margaret David 26/2/1814
4) Mary Morgan 9/10/1820

*all in the llansamlet area*

As far as i know he had 5 children:

Morgan b1802
Hopkin b1814
David b1819
Ann b1820
Margaret b1820

can anyone help?

thanks

pedro

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help finding HOPKIN SIMS 1777?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi pedro,

Cwm Chapelyard is practically full of Hopkins and Sims family members! Have you tried Adulam Chapel? I don't know whether you live in Swansea or know it, but Adulam is only up the road from Cwm and might be a possibilty. Or there's Bethel in Llansamlet as well?

Bev.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline pedroparker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 10 11:33 GMT (UK) »
hi bev

thanks for your help,

yes, there are loads in cwm, all related to our tree in some way, but they unfortunatly liked to keep the same names going down the family, which can be a nightmare on times. :)

I am from Swansea and know both places :). we've had no luck in Adulam but i don't remember anyone trying Bethel, so I will take a trip over soon.

thanks again

pedro

Offline silver.frame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Good Morning.  I wonder if you have got any further information on  Hopkin Sims b. 1777/1779?  I understand he had a son Hopkin b. 1814 who went on to marry Gwenllian (Don't know her surname).  Could you help with any information at all regarding this family please?  I am the g.g.g. grandson of Hopkin Sims b. late 1700's.  Any information you are willing to share is much appreciated.  Regards, David

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 11 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello David

Freebmd has a marriage in Neath district in 1839 (March quarter) with Hopkin Sims and Gwenllian Davies on the same page.
Neath volume 26 page 480

Do you have them on 1841 to 1881 Census?

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
From the Glamorgan FHS Transcriptions for Llansamlet

Marriages
Sims, Hopkin of Llansamlet to Thomas, Elizabeth of Llansamlet 8 May, 1802
Sims, Hopkin of Llansamlet and David, Margaret of Llansamlet by Banns, 26 Feb 1814
Note - the initial post has him marrying a Gewnllian Davies on this date? (Gwenllian married Hopkin Sims Junior methinks)

Baptisms
Sims, Hopkin, father Hopkin, collier, mother Margaret  - 20 Dec 1814, Pentre Engine Fach
Sims, David,      "           "         "           "             "         - 23 Mar 1817, Pentre Engine Fach
Sims, Anne (twin)"         "         "           "             "         - 30 Mar 1820, Engine Fach
Sims, Margaret (twin)    "          "           "            "         - 30 Mar 1820, Engine Fach

Sims, Margaret, father Hopkin, Collier,        mother Gwenllian - 30 Nov 1839 Bonymaen
Sims, David,          "          "       Spelter Man,   "         "         - 5 Mar 1842 Bonymaen
Sims, Hopkin,        "           "      Copperman     "         "         - 30 Jan 1844 Bonymaen
Sims, Ellen,            "          "       Collier             "         "         - 6 Apr 1847

Checked for baptism Hopkin Sims Snr b 1777 in Llansamlet and adjoining Parishes (Llangyfelach, Neath, Cadoxton,St Mary's Swansea) but drew a blank.

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
The twins Anne and Margaret were baptised 30 Mar 1820, Engine Fach.

Noticed the following in the Llansamlet burial registers

Margaret Syms on 30 Mar 1820, age 40, address Engine Fach.
Hopkin's Margaret possibly, died giving the birth to the twins?

regards

Offline pedroparker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi David (silver.frame), Morgan (Morganllan) and Hanes teulu.

Sorry, i haven't been on for a while and have just read the recent posts.

Guys, there's no need to trace the majority of info after 1800, i've gone back as far as the Hopkin Sims of 1777 but hit a stumbling block with him and quite possibly may have exhausted many if not all angles trying to find his baptism. Should anyone offer any info not found on him, that would be greatly recieved and fantastic!. But with regard to anything after 1800, I have a wealth of info from this date on the family to the present day and will be happy to share with any linked family members.

David (silver.frame) - I would be more than happy to supply you with all info I have.
You'll be happy to know that my family are direct descendants of his son Hopkin, so i can send you through his wife's maiden name along with other various info.

David (silver.frame) - My dad is also a g g g grandson of Hopkin (1777) and we'd love to know where in the tree you descend from and if your still living in the area?

I'll look through the tree and send you the info in a short while.

Kind Regards,

Pedro.

Offline Michael Sims Myers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 16 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hopkin Sims was my great great great grandfather.  His son David (by Margaret David Sims) immigrated to the United States sometime in the middle of the 1800s.  I haven't found David's wife's name yet, but they had a son named John.  John's wife was named Abigail (my great grandmother) and I knew her as a young child in Akron Ohio.  John and Abigail had four children, one of which was Rosanna Sims, my grandmother on my mother's side.  They gave me the Sims name for a middle name.  I too would like to find out more about Hopkin Sims' history.  The family name Sims is, I believe, Irish.  I welcome any communication with distant relatives.  I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico.