Author Topic: help finding HOPKIN SIMS 1777?  (Read 5425 times)

Offline pedroparker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help finding HOPKIN SIMS 1777?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 August 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news in your searches again, I don't think your line is connected to Hopkin Sims 1777 :( (unless there is a connection even further back but the important thing is that we can try and decipher what the correct lineage is and help each other as much as possible.

I think this is the lineage you proposed in your updated message:

-Hopkin Sims 1777
--Hopkin 1814 (by Margaret David) (+4 siblings)
---David 1841 (by Gwenllian Davies)
----John Cavassa 1858 (by Mary A. Winters)
-----Rosanna (by Alice Walters)
------ (Your Mother)
------- Michael Sims Myers (Yourself)

Unfortunately John Cavassa Sims I strongly believe through documented records is not related to the lineage proposed above.

This is the lineage I have evidence for if it helps. (sorry, but I hope it helps you with your searches)

-Hopkin Sims 1777-1868 (parents unknown)
--Hopkin Sims 1814-1890 (by Margaret David) +4 siblings
---David Sims 1842-1917 (by Gwenllian Davies)

David Sims 1842-1917 married Prudence John (as hanes teulu said) and had 8 children all in the Llansamlet area. (Prudence, David, Elizabeth, George, Winifred E, Thomas, Hopkin and Benjamin John.
Both David and Prudence are buried in Llansamlet.

So i'm again sorry to say I can 100% rule out Hopkin 1777, Hopkin 1814 and David Sims 1842 mentioned above as the correct lineage of your ancestor John Cavassa Sims.

On a positive note - there are lots of David and Hopkin Sims in the Llansamlet, Cwm and other surrounding churches. Sims is quite a popular name for the area. But as of yet I have been unable to connect John Cavassa Sims to any David or other Sims in the area, but if you do by any chance come across some leads that you think could be strong ones for his father/relative in the area - I would be happy to help you as much as possible and share any information I may possibly have on them from the church records.

Apologies again, as this may be not the news you wanted but I hope it helps in your searches and you never know, we could possibly be rellies connected further back than Hopkin 1777.

Kind regards and kind birthday wishes to your mother on her upcoming special day.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael,
So i'm again sorry to say I can 100% rule out Hopkin 1777, Hopkin 1814 and David Sims 1842 mentioned above as the correct lineage of your ancestor John Cavassa Sims.

I'm with you there.

regards

Offline Franceman1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hopkin Sims1777- 1868 is buried in Salem. I have a photocopy of his gravestone from I believe,”Find a Grave Memorial”
I am a distant relative, as my great great grandmother was Rebecca Sims 1858-1928. She married Henry Clement,and their daughter was my great grandmother.She married a Maddox,and that is my family name.
My father, who is 94,can remember being taught to drive on the Sims bakery van before WW2.If you look on the Sims and Jones Funeral Directors website you can see the van that was used.

Offline silver.frame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thank you very much for your email.  It's a rare occurrence that I receive any information re Sims/Bevan.  You probably have this information but just in case... Hopkin Sims b. 1814 married Gwenllian Davies and they had daughter Mary.  Mary married George Bevan in 1873 and George was my Great Grandfather b. 1848.  I do have your Rebecca on my Family Tree marrying Henry Clement.  I have them as having 8 children although I've only noted 3 names.  I notice that Hopkin Clement m. Annie Hopkins.  As far as Hopkin Sims Snr 1777, although he was married 4 times I have no parents for him, have you?
Regards,
David

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Still no sighting of a birth/baptism for Hopkin Sims around 1777 (his GRO death registration, Jun Qtr 1868, gives his age as 90).

A witness at his 26 Feb 1814 marriage was an Edward Sims. Checking for the birth/baptism of an Edward Sims I could only come up with

Baptism - Edward son of William Sims, 26 Jan 1788, Llansamlet
Burial - Edward, son of William Sims, 14 Mar 1789, Llansamlet (identifying a parent at burial usually indicates infant/child death).

So, unable to find a baptism for Edward, witness and possible sibling of Hopkin?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 January 19 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Pure speculation,but given the entries below,it would be easy to imagine that the Hopkin Syms buried 1767 was the father of the twice married(?) Hopkin Simms,who could have been the father of Hopkin Sims born circa 1777(presumably as per 1841 census).

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/5c2de773791e3b1c537fbe5b

Regards
Roger