Author Topic: LoneyBones Scavenger Hunt - Part 2...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 40647 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: LoneyBones Scavenger Hunt - Part 2...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Some "dating" clues for those photos !

The NSW State Library has a current digitisation project for the Holtermann Collection, (3,500 glass plate negatives ) and there's a blog.  http://blog.sl.nsw.gov.au/holtermann/index.cfm/2009/5/6/about-this-blog

It seems that the A & A company reached NSW from Victoria in 1870 ..  on the blog, the curator for the digitisation project cites the Yass Courier of 18 Feb 1870, and also that Merlin left Bathurst late Dec 1872 for Orange, arriving Christmas 1872.  Merlin's  plans were to photograph all the colonial towns (see SMH Dec 13, 1872 page 5) . 

Of course, as Hill End is North of Bathurst on the way to Gulgong/Mudgee,  and as Orange is West of Bathurst  and Merlin is associated with Gulgong and the photo used on the first ten dollar note for Australia issued 1966....  errr....  Moi  ::) can't figure out exact Month that Merlin (the photographer) was at Hill End, but errrrr (excuse the pun) he was a Wizard photographer  ;D

Also, the photo with Mr and Mrs Ennis ... noticing the "flounce" at her hip.  Could that be where her experienced Dressmaking skills allowed her to "take in" and "let out" for pregnancies ?   

LB, I reckon once that digitisation project is completed, you will find more photos of her in that dress, perhaps with their teenage children  ;D

Oh well, back to searching for Elizabeth in around 1880 and later  ;D  ;D  ;D

Cheers,  JM.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Back to the photos,   ;D  ;D  ;D

Merlin has an entry in the Australian Dictionary of Biography...  There's clues there about his company A & A photographics etc.
... By the end of March 1872 the company was at Hill End, in a studio built for them on land owned by Holtermann.  And the gem of all " . At Hill End on 19 October Merlin, again photographing house-to-house, recorded the unearthing of 'Holtermann's nugget'. "  So LB, perhaps the photos were taken at the house where Elizabeth and John lived with their children, ... the props in those photos could be ENNIS furniture  ;D 

http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/AS10338b.htm

Well that certainly inspires MOI to try to find more on Elizabeth  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 07:27 GMT (UK) »
I think I've viewed every one of those 3,500 glass negatives JM.  :o  :o  :o  ruination of the eyes.
Did you read that the much publicised photo of Holterman with his nugget was one of the first "cut-&-paste" jobs? Yep, Holterman was photographed in the studio and cut from that photo and literally pasted onto the nugget photo. In the studio photo Holterman has his hand on a hat rack.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Merlin was indeed a wizard.  ;D

Added; I keep forgetting to ask JM. Did you by any chance have any other John ENNIS before 1842?
Maybe one who was married to a Constance Louisa and living in the Azores about 1830? Didja Huh?  :-\
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Yep, a Wizard  ;D

I reckon the photos you have put here on these threads were taken about 19 October 1872 at their home in Hill End...  now to find a parish map of Hill End circa 1872  ;D  hoping for names of the land holders, looking out for a William Larson or similar  ;D

Seems to Moi that Merlin did a better job at cut and paste than some public servants in the registrar general's office  ::)  And he was using the glass negative ....

Cheers,

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Parish maps for Hill End only start 1894 ..........

http://www.lands.nsw.gov.au/survey_maps/maps_and_imagery/parish_maps

Cheers,

JM

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 09:04 GMT (UK) »
...................... there was a co-respondent in the case, so she probably wasn’t lonely.
Unfortunately I lost her at this stage, so her story remains unfinished.
I can see Nichole Kidman in the part.

Nah, you want somebody who can act       ;D ;D ;D

Great pic Leonie, I don't think she's pregnant though, its just the style of 'dress'.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Ok, she's not pregnant and I'll rethink who should play her part in the movie.
I agree with 19 October 1872 JM, but not in their own home.
The whole bl**dy population didn't come to afternoon tea and there are at least half of those glass negatives all taken on the same bit of lino.  ;D  Studio pics, trust me.   ;D
I looked at that blog, left a message and saved it to favourites for future ref:
Made me realise tho' that my photo was definitely taken 1872, and the baby is who I thought but Elizabeth isn't pregnant.
Also...I've seen parish maps of that era, well at least a town map of Hill End with owners names. Can't remember where or when.... probably at our library. But I would have only been looking for names I knew. eg. ENNIS, GARDNER or COGDON. Obviously didn't find anything or I'd have made a note somewhere.

You must have missed this;
Added; I keep forgetting to ask JM. Did you by any chance have any other John ENNIS before 1842?
Maybe one who was married to a Constance Louisa and living in the Azores about 1830? Didja Huh?   

I added it later.  :-\  :-[
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi LB,

My John Ennis was ex the Glatton, and I've not gone back further on his line.  But births in Portugal :  Yep, I've got NSW death rego's showing that Iberian Peninsula was birth place for my first arrival in NSW (he was born Spain during the wars against Napoleon), and on a different line I've a Granny's Great Great Gran who was born in Portugal of British military stock during same war!

But as to my John Ennis .... err I've not concentrated on his background pre his arrival in 1803 on the Glatton.  He was tried in 1801 at Chelmsford.  He had two children in NSW by two different convict women who were transported on the Speke, and years later he married one of those women in his old age.  He was associated with the Wesleyan Methodists in early Sydney. 

The closest I get to the Azores could be about 1788 and then its all the way to St Kitts in the Carribbean. 

Perhaps I should ask for another scavenger hunt for Moi... and concentrate on my John Ennis  ;D  Afterall, all my life I have known that my first name is in honour of one of his grandchildren...

Cheers,

JM

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 10:00 GMT (UK) »
We could do a joint hunt looking for all John ENNISs.  ;D