Author Topic: My grandfather John Charles SHERWOOD in New Zealand, early 1900's..COMPLETED  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Family folklore has it that my grandfather John Charles SHERWOOD (b. 1883 in Eastbourne), spent several years in New Zealand making and saving money, before returning to Eastbourne before WW1.  I have no idea when he went, except that he was with his family in the 1891 Census, but by the 1901 he had left home.  I have him marrying a local girl in Eastbourne in 1916.
So, imagining him leaving home at the age of 18, say, then he could have been in NZ between 1901 and 1914.  Where might I begin to look for his name mentioned in Passenger lists or lists of Immigration to NZ?
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather John Charles SHERWOOD in New Zealand, early 1900's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 05 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

No guarantees you'll find a record for your grandfather, but consider this webpage for a start:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/barbgreg/shipping1.html

Cheers, Brisgirl
Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather John Charles SHERWOOD in New Zealand, early 1900's
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 05 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Brisgirl,
I'll give this website a try.
Very best wishes,
Keith