Author Topic: Carnmoney Cemetery records  (Read 42788 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Re: Carnmoney Cemetery records
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fadge

I think I understand it now :)
Can I ask how you managed to get a look at the register? I had previously telephoned the caretaker but sometimes he would confirm the burial had taken place in the churchyard but forgot to note down the grave location. I would imagine he is a very busy man so I cannot complain as I'm sure he isn't obliged to check the register for people. I really wish the church would digitise it and save him the hassle!

I know the graveyard well as my McIvor ancestors are in the same place. It is extremely creepy and the last time I ventured in I was chased by dogs belonging to the owners of the houses at the very back of the cemetery. Not something I would wish to repeat ;) I will wait until the better weather and preferably a bright sunny day as it is a pretty gloomy place to say the least. Thanks again for your help, I am delighted to finally know the location of that grave. :) you have cleared up a big mystery for me.
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline fadge36

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi liscoole
Glad I was of some assistance. Strangely I also thought that my ancestors were only in the churchyard or in the new area across the road but when it was explained that 'Upper Section' meant the Hidden Graveyard. I found at least 6 family burials there. so I have ancestors in all 3 graveyards.
The Burial registers are very interesting to view and I wish someone would scan them as simply to record them digitally would loose a lot.
Maybe someone from NIFHS will see this and make the necessary approach to the church. To have the registers photographed would be time consuming but extremely rewarding.
fadge36

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Have just read this thread and whilst it is probably too late to be of any help I thought I would confirm that anyone who has a rights of burial slip such as scanned on page 1 has a grave in the old (referred to as 'main') part of the Carnmoney Cemetery ran by Newtownabbey Borough Council. Slips weren't provided by the Church graveyard. I have a similar rights of burial slip and was able to phone up the Council offices and discover who else was buried in the grave, including all dates of deaths and ages.

The main Carnmoney Cemetery is located directly opposite the New cemetery where graves could be purchased until very recently, both are Council ran graveyards. The main graveyard is adjacent to the hidden graveyard that is opposite Carnmoney Church of Ireland Graveyard. So basically there can be considered to be 4 graveyards all beside each other, hence the confusion.

Offline fadge36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 06 April 14 15:41 BST (UK) »
Mistake!
Sorry

Offline blennerhassett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 August 22 20:09 BST (UK) »
George Armstrong, Carnmoney Cemetery Main Died aged 86, 08/06/1913 Plot G 147
Other burials
23/02/1912 Caroline aged 17
21/03/1915 Samuel aged 0
27/04/1915 Samuel aged 44.
This info comes from Antrim & Newtownabbey burials portal.
Hope this is of help

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 06 August 22 18:32 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

George Armstrong, Carnmoney Cemetery Main Died aged 86, 08/06/1913 Plot G 147
Other burials
23/02/1912 Caroline aged 17
21/03/1915 Samuel aged 0
27/04/1915 Samuel aged 44.
This info comes from Antrim & Newtownabbey burials portal.
Hope this is of help

George Armstrong - Death Date - 08/05/1913

Link to Burials Record Search-
https://myhostedapp.com/fmi/webd/anbc_portal?homeurl=https://www.antrimandnewtownabbey.gov.uk

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 12:25 BST (UK) »
Link to Burials Record Search-
https://myhostedapp.com/fmi/webd/anbc_portal

Whilst the above link still works the Burial Records Search Portal link on the ANBC Cemeteries page has recently been changed, the associated text on the page has not been modified.
https://antrimandnewtownabbey.gov.uk/residents/births-deaths-marriages-civil-partnerships/cemeteries/
now connects to https://antrimandnewtownabbey.discovereverafter.com/ and has drone aerial imagery to aid location of exact plots.
Results are ordered by forname by default but can been changed in the drop down box to date of death/burial or age.
The new Everafter portal does not have 'Last Known Address' or the occasional headstone photos which were on some burials post 1990 previously, so it may be worth utilising both whilst available.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 12:45 BST (UK) »

Thanks Jon_ni for the updated information  :)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo