Author Topic: Dundee marriage, 1869  (Read 4647 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Dundee marriage, 1869
« on: Wednesday 03 February 10 03:34 GMT (UK) »
I am resuming researching my husband's ancestors.  Supposedly:

Patrick Joseph Tierney was born Jan 1838 in County Cavan, Ireland.

Margaret Flood was born c1844 in County Clare, Ireland.

A relative advised they were married in Dundee, Scotland 17 May 1869.

Is there anyway to find out if they were married in Dundee, please?

Patrick apparently immigrated to America in 1869.  Thank you for any assistance.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee marriage, 1869
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Patrick Tierney & Margaret Flood married 17th May 1869 at Dundee, Angus Scotland.  The Familysearch IGI has transcriptions of Scottish Births & Marriages 1855 to 1875 direct from the Statutory Registers and are in theory complete.
You can download details from Scotlandspeople (pay per view) which could be useful as they should name both sets of parents

Andy

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Patick Tierney and Margaret Flood were married 17 May 1869 according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church. They were both of the same address - 22 Blackness st Dundee and were married at St Peters.

Margaret was a spinner in a jute mill spinster 35 yrs and Patrick was 31 yrs and some kind of labourer.
Patrick's parents were - Bernard Tierney and Mary m/s Clark both deceased.
Margaret's parents were - Mark Flood Wheelwright and Jane m/s Duffy both deceased.

The witnesses were Michael Clark and Elspet/Elizabeth Clark

I can't make out what kind of labourer Patrick was or Bernard's occupation.

If you pm me your email addy I'll send you a copy of the certificate.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Andy and Joy:

Thank you both so much for your help!  I'm not too sure how to confirm that the couple marrying in 1869 are my husband's ancestors, but perhaps it can be done.  (Very little is known about this side of the family.)

Late in life, Patrick worked for the City of San Francisco, and had something to do with the city parks.  He was a labourer on earlier census returns.

Thank you again for finding the information; I hope it turns out to be his ancestors.  Joy, I will pm my address.

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Update:  There is a California death index for our Patrick and Margaret's daughter (daughter born in Troy, New York).  Margaret's maiden name is listed: Flood.   ;D

1870 Lansingburgh New York census:
Catherine? Duffy, age 75, born Ireland
Margaret Duffy, age 73, born Ireland
Patrick Tierney, age 31, born Ireland, Labourer
Margaret Tierney, age 35, born Ireland
Mary Tierney, age 3/12, born New York

Patrick is widowed or divorced by 1880 and there is no sign of little Mary.

Thank you again, Andy and Joy, it appears that the couple you found are indeed my husband's ancestors.