Author Topic: Help 1861 Essex Census on line  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
Help 1861 Essex Census on line
« on: Thursday 17 March 05 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was thrilled to see that 1837. com had put the 1861 Census for Essex on line but I can't seem to find the people I want.

I have the 1861 transciption ( Maldon District ) which I purchased from the Essex Family Hstory Society but my problem is that I can't seem to find some of those listed when I enter them on line.

Has anyone else had these problems?  If so any tips for searching to achieve results.
I've tried being specific and also vague with details but all to no avail.

Sue  ???

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help 1861 Essex Census on line
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 05 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Sue, Perhaps the Maldon part of the Essex 1861 census isn't yet on line. Or there have been differences of opinion over the transcribing by Essex FHS and whoever did the online version.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 05 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

A lot of it has been very badly mistranscribed - in fact the worst of the indexes in my opinion.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 05 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I've also had problems finding people that I know were living in Maldon reg. district in 1861 (as kind people on rootschat had found them for me previously).
On the 1837 site I  managed to find the ones I knew were already there by using first name, age and place of birth.....as there are an awful lot where the surname is just transcribed as ......
I found my Pumfreys in Latchingdon by matching up the names and ages of various
......,firstname age bn Latchingdon as I knew what the different siblings should be called.

When I downloaded the image from there I did not that for that page there are no details of parish and etc filled in at the top of the sheet......the orig. enumerator forgot???
And the surname Pumfrey seems quite clear on the image to me...but I guess I knew what I was looking for.

It's a pity that the 1837site doesn't let you search by ref. no's as at the moment at least the part of latchingdon that I wanted is completely invisible to the placename search.

Maldon district does seem to be there though, if badly transcribed....with the surnames the worst I think.

Good luck trying to find them,

Emily
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 05 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your replies, I'm pleased that it is not just me who's having problems. Like you Emily I've tried just first names and places of birth but the folks I want still don't appear.???

Also like you the top of the ennumerators page is blank with no details of the parish etc, that's on the ones I've been lucky enough to find. So without the index from the Essex FHS I'd have no idea where in Essex  they were.

Best wishes   Sue   ::)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.