Author Topic: Frank Hicks  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Hicks
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 February 10 01:53 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find the death of the baby listed in the Toronto Star. I also checked the Globe and Mail and again could find nothing.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 February 10 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Janice
Many thanks.  I have the certificate of death registry for 'baby hicks' which was stilborn and thus was probably never reported.  The parents were given as Frank Hicks and Annie Turner (her maiden name was Rose Ann Turner) both born in England.  I know she visited England in 1934 and 1960 without FRank but that is all I know so far.  I am about to try to find any other children born to them through the pay site of the Toronto Star but any help would be appreciated.  If I can then find any living relatives in Canada I will send them their family tree in England.

Rod

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 February 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Lynwen
This is all the facts I currently have so any further help would really be appreciated from all who have kindly replied:
Frank sailed from Southampton on 8th December 1918 aboard the Olympic under the White Ensign with other retired soldiers medica
Rose Ann Hicks sailed on the SS Vedic leaving Southampton England on the 19th July 1921 arriving into the port of Quebec.  Her destination address given is Cardiff Street North Toronto, Ontario
Frank Hicks and Ann had a child stillborn on the 14th May 1923 at 105 Oak Street Toronto.  The child is buried in St John’s Cemetery by the Undertaker J A Humphrey of 43 Church Street, Toronto
Rose and Frank Hicks  lived in Toronto between July 1921 and October 1934 and were living in 1934 at 319 Greenwood Avenue, Toronto.
Rose Ann Hicks age 41 travelled back to England aboard the ship Ausonia from New York to Halifax and then to Plymouth, arriving on the 21st October 1934.  Her destination was stated as 69 Chancellors Road, Hammersmith, London, England.  She returned to Canada on the ship Ascania from Southampton, arriving in Quebec on the 19th November 1934.
Rose Ann Hicks age 67, listed as married, travelled back to England arriving in Southampton on the 5th August 1960 on the SS Sylvania sailing from the ports of Montreal and Quebec.  Rose returned to Canada on the 14th September 1960 on the SS Ivernia from Southampton arriving in Montreal

Rod

Offline LesleyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 February 10 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rod,

From the Toronto Star May 16,1944......

Hicks, Frank, Private No. 490551 late of 1st Canadian Pioneer Details. Passed away Saturday May 13, 1944, at the Christie Street Hospital. Frank Hicks of 492 Clarens Ave, dearly loved husband of Rose Ann Turner, father of Miss Dorothy (RCAF), Miss June, at home, and James Francis (Norwegian Merchant Navy). Resting at the Turner and Porter Funeral home 436 Roncesvalles, at Howard Park Ave. Service in the chapel, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment, Veterans' Plot Prospect Cemetery. Liverpool and London, England, papers please copy.

Lesley

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who have helped me so far.  I have found the death of Rose Ann Hicks in December 1973 but in spite of trawling through the Toronto Star pay site I have been unable to find the births of their three children Dorothy, June, James Francis.  England is much easier as I can get the birth certificates.  Can anyone help with suggestions as to how I may now proceed.  Many thanks

Rod

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Did the entry in the Toronto Star regarding Rose Ann's death include any information on the children?  The fact that Rose's death was in the paper would indicate that at least one child survived her.  Have you tried searching for marriages for the children or their deaths in more recent years?

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
From
http://www.ontarioobits.com/
There is BETTY, Winnifred Dorothy (HICKS) at 82 Missassauga
Obituary for this woman was in the Toronto Star 2006-07-10

Perhaps a connection.  The age fits.  If you don't have access to the Toronto Star anymore you can order the obituary through this site for free.

Debbie

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Debbie, This is the entry:
Hicks, Rose Ann – In Toronto on Tuesday, December 11, 1973.  Rose Ann Hicks, loving mother of Mrs S Ainsworth (Dorothy), Francis J Hicks, and the late Mrs M McGrath (June), dear grandmother of 15 grandchildren.  Resting at the chapel of Washington and Johnson, 717 Queen Street. E. (of Broadview).  Service on Friday at 1030 a.m. Internment Pace Hills Cemetery.
I am on with it - I just hoped there may be a short cut.

Rod

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 02:43 GMT (UK) »
The Interment is actually at "Pine Hills Cemetery"

http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/pre-planning/cemeteries/properties/ph

If you need copies of any of these obits, just send me a personal message with your email, and I will send them through to you.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie