Author Topic: Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies (IHGS) Correspondence Course  (Read 23072 times)

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies (IHGS) Correspondence Course
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Fue, Danuslave

I have heard of this course and it sounds as demanding as IHGS ("all weekend from getting up until midnight") but the big difference is that, according to the genealogical blog from which I took that quote, the course is heavily biased toward Scottish records. So, if you have ancestry mainly north of the border this may be for you. I imagine the residential course elements are in Strathclyde University.

Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm doing the IHGS course (on Lecture 4) and am loving it - but it is challenging!  Having done a lot of Open Uni courses over the years one of the advantages of this is that there are no deadlines as such - you work at your own pace, but do have to be very self disciplined because I can imagine it would be easy to let things slip! ;D

There is a lot of suggested reading which is an important part of the course - some of the books are quite hard to track down but I am lucky enough to work very close to a very well resourced Local Studies Centre.  I have set myself deadlines and make sure I stick to them!  8)

incompatible with a busy social life or undertaking other studies.
I work full time but maybe I don't have a life! ::)

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Philip591

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 November 12 15:46 GMT (UK) »
As this an ongoing topic I would like to put my twopenny worth in.
Be very, very wary of signing up for this course they do not do what they say. I agree with all the other correspondents, they teach you nothing, and once you have submitted the first assignment they take your money and walk away.  I spent close to €3,000. 
I have written to The Duke of Norfolk (patron of said Institute) with my complaint, I am not holding my breath as to when or if I will get a reply.
There are far superior courses out there.
If you want more information please feel free to ask.

Regards Philip591

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 12 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,

I agree with all the other correspondents, they teach you nothing

I am rather puzzled by this statement of yours - I don't think I am the only IHGS student who has commented positively in this thread?

I have now reached Lectures 7/8 and am still thoroughly enjoying the course.  I have learnt a huge amount from not only the Lecture notes and assignment tasks but also the wider reading which is suggested.  The course has enabled me to confidently research my own family far beyond what I would have probably attempted without it - certainly I have more idea of where to look now!

My aim is to complete a Lecture every couple of months or so and at the moment I am a little behind for various reasons - but this isn't a problem as I can dip in and out as I am able.  I have lots of support from my tutor - she is very helpful, replies to emails very promptly with advice / encouragement and also returns my work quickly with helpful comments.

Having also studied extensively with the Open University I would say that my current experience is better and the support from tutors and fellow students alike comparable, if not superior to that which I received there.  My only regret is that my job and family circumstances have so far prevented me from attending any of the courses held in Canterbury - I hear they are excellent and many students talk of benefiting from the face to face support for specific Lecture topics.

I would encourage you to persevere and try Lecture 2 - I have enjoyed them all but they do get better and better - as well as more challenging!  The Institute does not
take your money and walk away
- there are plenty of students - maybe not Rootschatters - that will attest to that.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Further replies were removed, as they were getting too personal for a public message board.

Topic is now locked.

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)