Author Topic: LEPINE  (Read 32975 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEPINE
« on: Thursday 04 February 10 04:52 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching the French surname Lepine and its variants found within Great Britain, the Channel Islands and Ireland, in what is in effect a one name study.

Initially I was looking into one line only but expanded this so I could unravel the various branches from one another.

One Huguenot Lepine family originated in Normandy and came to Canterbury, Kent, in the late 1500s.

Another branch were from Picardie, Oise, and started to come to London in 1679.

A further Lepine family in the 1600s in England were from Niort in France.

There are no doubt more branches.

If anyone has any information on any branch of a family with the name Lepine who resided in Britain before 1900 then please contact me.

Variants of this name (including those examples incorrectly transcribed) are:

de l’Epine, de L’Epine, De l’Epine, de l’Espine, de L’Espine, De l’Espine, de Lepin, de Lépine, de Lespine, dePine, Delepeine, Delepine, Delepinne, Delespine, Delespinne, Delispine, Depine, Deslespaine, Dupine, L’Epine, L’Epine, L’Espine, Lapine, Le Pine, Le Pone, Leepine, Lefine, Lepeane, Lepene, Lepina, Lepine, Lépine, Leping, Lepinne, Lepire, Lepoin, Lepoine, Lepone, Leponne, Lepore, Lespaine, Lespine, Lespinne, Lipine, Lopina, Lupine, Sepine and Seppine.

Some members apparently dropped the first part to become Pine, while others apparently altered it to the English translation of Thorn.

Many thanks,
Jon Wicken
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline carriesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LEPINE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,
There is a Lepine in my husband's family. His great-grandfather was Frank Courtenay Lepine bapt 28 Sept 1890, St Peter's Maidstone Kent (LDS). He had a brother Robert Dawson Lepine who died in the Great War. Frank came to South Africa  about 1916 to experiment with explosives in the African Explosives factory (also known as Kynochs) in Umbogintwini as he was an analytical chemist. On 6th June 1917 he married Amy Beatrice Rankin in the Isipingo Anglican Church. They had three daughters : Mary Elizabeth, Pauline Margaret and Antoinette. The marriage broke up in the early 1920's. Frank moved to the Cape where he worked as a laboratory chemist at KWV (Ko-operatieve Wijnbouwers Vereniging van Zuid-Afrika Beperkt.) at Paarl. He died on 16th February 1933 of a heart condition. He is buried at the Woltemade Cemetery in Maitland.

That's about all the information we have as his daughters had no contact with him as he was an alcoholic and left his family in a dire financial position.

As I am in South Africa I have to do most of my research online. From the 1891 census, I believe his father was John Dawson Lepine and his mother Fannie.

Any further information about this family would be most appreciated.
Regards
Carolynne Butler

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Maidstone & Boxley Lepines
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolynne,

I don't have the John Dawson Lepine in my Lepine research yet but I have had a little look and it would seem to me using the branches I have researched that your Lepine line is that outlined below. As with all research please check the information I give you yourself.

However I do know that the Maidstone Lepines were descended from the Canterbury line. This is a different branch to mine but in the process of unravelling everything I have researched them too.

So it would seem your line goes as follows:

Jehan de Lespine born before c1554 in La Gorgue, France

Their son Jaques de Lespine born before c1673 in La Gorgue, France, died Cantebury 1601 married Catherine Delbeq

Their son Jan/Jean de Lespine born Canterbury 1594 died 1655 married as his first wife Jaqueline Bariselle in 1630.

Their son Jean Delepine/Lepine born Canterbury 1632 died 1710 married Marie Bonte in 1668

Their son Daniel Lepine born Canterbury, Kent 1687 died 1754 married as his second wife Elizabeth Broadstreet in 1727

Their son Jean/John Lepine born Canterbury 1732 died after 1797 married Mary Brett in 1761

Their son Stephen Lepine born Maidstone 1767 died 1808 married as his first wife Ann Beeching in 1790

Their son Stephen Lepine born Maidstone 1792 died 1861 married as his second wife Mary Allen in 1827

Their son James Lepine born Boxley, Kent in 1827 married Elizabeth Morris in 1849

Their son was James Dawson Lepine born 1860 died 1920

I haven't just plucked all this out of the IGI on its own but have used many available sources such as the French Church of Canterbury records, probate records and so on.

So if you have any queries on how I have made any conclusions please let me know and if you find any differences please do post here so that future researchers can investigate all the information.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline carriesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 11 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Jon. This gives me something to work on.
Regards
Carolynne

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
The only link in this chain which is more assumed than the others is the fact that it was Jean/Jean born in 1732 who married Mary Brett.

However the will of his brother Stephen Lepine from 1797 states his brother John had children so this must be correct.

This Stephen\Esthienne Lepine (1735-1797) in fact himself married in Maidstone. Also the John who married Mary Brett had a son named Stephen so this all seems to tie in.

I am therefore pretty confident that this line of descent is all correct, but as I said do research and check it for yourself so you are happy about it.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline nicolegoode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 11 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon
I am researching the Lepine family as well.  I am new to this site I just found your post on google.
The Lepine's I am researching appear to be the line you discuss below. 

I am related to them through a
Hannah Welby 1817-1871
mother was Hannah Lepine 1789-1876
her father Daniel Lepine 1767-
his father Charles Lepine 1721-
and his the Daniel Lepine 1687-
that you discuss below.

I believe these are the Canterbury Lepine's from Normandy, you may know if this is correct?  If you have any information or know any places I may be able to find more information I would be very grateful.  The above I have worked out myself so I hope it is right so far.

Many Thanks
Nicole

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lepine Ancestry of Hannah Welby
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 June 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicole,

It's good to know my posts are useful to people.

The Lepines and Huguenots in general are are a really interesting branch to have in your ancestry. I have spent much time studying all the Lepine branches and while my research continues, your line is in fact a bit different to that outlined in your post.

Your line of descent is in fact as follows:

Jehan de Lespine born before c1554 in La Gorgue, France

His son Jaques de Lespine born before c1573 in La Gorgue, France, died Cantebury 1601 married Catherine Delbeq

Their son Jan/Jean de Lespine born Canterbury 1594 died 1655 married as his first wife Jaqueline Bariselle in 1630.

Their son Jean Delepine/Lepine born Canterbury 1632 died 1710 married Marie Bonte in 1668

Their son Daniel Lepine born Canterbury, Kent 1687 died 1754 married as his first wife Marie Vendome at Canterbury in 1711

Their son Daniel Lepine born Canterbury 1711 died there 1781 married Catherine Lucas at Canterbury in 1734

Their son Charles Lepine born Canterbury 1743 died there 1818 married as his first wife Hannah Barwick in Canterbury in 1765

Their son Daniel Lepine born Canterbury 1767 died 1826 married Nancy Elizabeth Balantine Smillie in 1788 at Lambeth, Surrey.

Their daughter Hannah Lepine born Canterbury 1789 died 1876 married William Welby in 1811

Their daughter was the Hannah Welby/Guy you begin you post with.

The Lepine in Chancery article states that Daniel 1767 was the son of Charles 1721 but this is not correct. This is confirmed by the daughter of Charles being named in the 1797 will of Stephen Lepine.

This is also confirmed on the 'Lepine Great Chart' of the 1850s now in the Society of Genealogists in London. There are some errors on this large family tree, but I have checked everything out myself now.   

Familysearch.org and the registers of the French church at Canterbury and so on will be able to help you to piece together your tree further.

Do feel free to post here for any further help on the family though. I intend to eventually deposit all my own research at the French Library and Society of Genealogists at some point, but I think it will be a way off yet!

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline nicolegoode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 11 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

Thank you so much for that.  Something wasn't quite adding up with the research I was doing but I was struggling to get to the bottom of it.  I haven't been researching for that long so your help is greatly appreciated. 

Do you know anything about the family, stories, how they might have lived etc?  I assume this information is extremely difficult to find.

Nicole

Offline nicolegoode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 11 01:26 BST (UK) »
Also as you say, I have Hannah Welby, having a daughter Sara Guy who is my great great grandmother.  My family remember her very fondly.  She had a son Arthur Worsnip 1892 and his son John was my grandfather.

Thanks again
Nicole