Author Topic: Identify picture  (Read 18363 times)

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Identify picture
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 February 10 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 February 10 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Her country of birth, approximate birthdate  and her parents full names would be of great help when checking Jewish marriage records, any marriage records in fact  ;D

She doesn't look of an age where she would change her name .... she must have been almost an adult when sent to England.

dollylee

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 February 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »
 Others will be more knowledgeable, but my husband thinks that the pocket on the trousers doesn't look like a British uniform, and might indicate a foreign force?  What about Poland, etc?  Worth a thought.

The pocket on the trouser style was apparently worn by the Polish force http://www.wwiipolishlhg.org/
but to my totally unexpert eye, all allied forces seem to have similar uniforms!

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 February 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I think we need someone from the Armed Forces board to help identify the uniform. I'll put a thead on there with a link to this one.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline quiltlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 February 10 21:55 GMT (UK) »
The only way is to pull all of the soldiers that married an  Eva during the 1940's .   Ancestry .com has tons of Evas but the soldier may not have been Jewish , so picking a Jewish sounding name may not work.  Our guess is that her parent's gave her to a non Jewish family to assure  that she would  get to safety.  Thusly, she may not have followed the Jewish religion.  Don't know how old she was when the adoption took place.

:D

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Lets see if we get any help regarding the uniform from the Armed Forces board. We may have to wait until tomorrow. My gut feeling is that the groom isn't English and he was serving in some other Allied Army stationed in England. Not from any experience just a gut feeling.
So hold on.
Quiltlady did you see the post asking if you have the original photo?
A better scan would help everyone if it's possible.

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :)

Sorry not to be offering any help, but just wanted to ask a couple of questions...

You say she was sent to England,...where from?  Ie, what country was she born in? 

You do say, that you don't know when she was sent to England, but not as a infant surely?  Would she have been officially adopted?  Or was she taken in by people who were helping the cause?  She looks in her 20's in that photo, so would that put her date of birth around 1920 or so?

Lastly, if her name wasn't changed, could it have been spelt differenty, sounding different...any of those options...

I do hope you find something...and wish you all the luck. :)
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:16 GMT (UK) »
 Others will be more knowledgeable, but my husband thinks that the pocket on the trousers doesn't look like a British uniform, and might indicate a foreign force?  What about Poland, etc?  Worth a thought.

The pocket on the trouser style was apparently worn by the Polish force http://www.wwiipolishlhg.org/
but to my totally unexpert eye, all allied forces seem to have similar uniforms!

I'm looking at the photo and the first thought I have is .... he's Polish!
I'm not an expert, this is coming from the deep recesses of my wartime memories, triggered by his uniform and his hairstyle :-\
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Just had a good look at the photo searching for any clues.  This may sound silly but does anyone know anything about flowers?  The time of year that these particular flowers are in bloom may give a clue to quarter in which they married, unless they are artificial of course.  I know these days most flowers can be imported from other countries but was that the case in the war years or did they just use what was in season?  They look like lillies to me.

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton