Author Topic: Carrick, San Francisco  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Carrick, San Francisco
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Still nothing helpful...

I called Holy Cross Cemetery (located in Colma, California) and spoke to a very nice man (some of my husband's ancestors were buried there and the staff is wonderful).  After confirming that a William Carrick, 1906, was not buried in Holy Cross (it doesn't hurt to verify what we already believe to be true), I asked if he knew if there were any general cemeteries that may have accepted individuals who died at City and County Hospital in 1906. 

He said that there still were cemeteries in San Francisco at that time, including Calvary Cemetery (which reinterred the deceased at Holy Cross when it closed).  Records were somewhat spotty at that time and I believe he mentioned that it could be difficult to find Mr. Carrick.   :-\

When I was looking for my English brickwall ancestor, I tried to track down everyone with his (somewhat unusual) surname, who was born in England around that time and whom possibly had the same occupation a bit later in life.  Have you tried to see if there were other William Carricks born around the same time and place and follow their paths, to see how likely it would be that the San Francisco William is yours?  I hope that makes sense.   ::)   ;)  I don't like to give up when I still believe there is a chance to find more.   ;) ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Last suggestion then I better get back to gardening.   ;D

Have you looked through San Francisco newspapers around the time of his death, to see if any accidents were reported?  A few times when helping others, their relatives'/ancestors' were involved in an accidental death and were not named at the time that the article was written.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I've looked in the newspapers, but not for accidental deaths around that time. Will try that.

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to call the cemetery. That's so kind of you.

Yes, get back to your garden - or you'll never get off here!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 17 November 16 20:46 GMT (UK) »
William Carrick...was single, living at 363 1/2 Market Street.  This was known as the Elcho Lodging house and was situated opposite the Flood Building (on the corner of Powell). It was on the same block as the Call Building, near the corner of 5th Street.   It seems (like much of the city) the Elcho building was lost in April 1906, during the earthquake and fire.  But it doesn't look like William died in it.

I was just having another look around and noticed the address.  You probably meant to type 863 1/2?  I only point it out because if he was living at 363 Market, he most likely was living in a building that was built on "fill", which might have meant that if he was at home at the time of the earthquake, he could have felt the movement more severely than someone who was living in a building built on rock or at least natural soil.   :-[

During 1906, an (elderly) ancestor of my husband lived several blocks away from 863 Market and supposedly after the earthquake struck, he walked (or took a buggy, I don't remember) to where his daughter was living, to help the family.  It was a two to three mile walk (depending upon where the family was living in 1906), which must have been difficult to do, given his frightening experience, seeing devastation along the way and wondering if his family members were okay.  He had already been in one California earthquake; I wonder what your Mr. Carrick was thinking at the time.   :'(

If you haven't already tried this resource, I wonder if a librarian might be able to answer the question:  where might those who passed away in the City and County Hospital have been buried in 1906?   :-\  They may not have an answer, but it could be worth a try?  Also, if you do not live in the area, it might be worth mentioning that you cannot easily access San Francisco resources.
Library for San Francisco
http://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000001701

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 18 November 16 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, yes, that was supposed to be 863 1/2.  Don't know where that first 3 came from! Looking at some of the photographs of the aftermath, I hate to think what he was thinking - what he must've seen. The earthquake was probably bad enough, but then to have the city engulfed in fire...ugh. They must've all been very traumatised. Thank you for sharing that. 

Off to look at that link now. Thanks.

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 18 November 16 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Submitted a question - thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if I hear anything. :)