Author Topic: When was this photo taken??  (Read 7561 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: When was this photo taken??
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 March 05 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I thought you're Mum looked very nice....very slim...but her face has a slightly more rounded look....could she have been just a little bit pregnant ?

(I am told that there is no such thing as 'a little bit' pregnant - by some-one here!)
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 March 05 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm going for 1945ish, going on clothes & hairstyles, that makes your mum about 34 ish.  It's summer time, trees in full leaf.  When did your uncle get married?  If your mum & her sister-in-law were together, I suspect it was after your uncle's marriage.  When was VE day?  would they have been out enjoying the celebrations & was there a third person?  Cos who took the photo?

Jane

PS...Just had a quick Google (quite painless) :D and VE day was MAY 8 1945...could it be??
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 March 05 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks for all those comments.

When I gave you the facts - I didn't realise I of course had more from the 40's onwards.
Dad was invalided out of the army and went to the Fire Service in Manchester and Coventry
My parents were bombed out of their house in Dec 1940
My brother was born March 1941
I was born April 1945 ( so that puts VE celebrations out of it)
So who said about her being Pregnant at the wedding!!!  ;D ;D
My dad's elder brother was married in 1930
Can't see anything that would show the war was going on - should  there be signs??
Hadn't even noticed the bus Paul!!
It must be my romantic side coming out thinking it was their Honeymoon  ;) ;) ;)

Cheers
Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 March 05 10:55 GMT (UK) »
So your 'romantic side' tells you that you would take another woman along on your honeymoon, does it??????

You are a shocker ! ???

~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Is that why I am now divorced!!  ;D ;D ;D

It is her sister in law - so if dad took the photo  - where is his brother - at work?

If it is in Cambridge - mum lived in Manchester - so in meeting her sister in law, it must be because of dads presence somewhere!

Alright is was just a holiday then - hope it was after the wedding - otherwise I might think they were on a "dirty weekend"  :-[ :-[ :-[

Now look what you are doing - making my mind wander -
I have just put up another couple of photos which I think were taken at the same time on my website - so....

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't exactly say when this was taken, but the shop with the "Grand Clearance" would have been Eaden Lilley's, which recently closed down.  If someone knew when then had their Grand Clearance that might narrow it down a bit - tho' they probably did this every year.
I think dedicated followers of fashion could probably date this for us most accurately...
Keith

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Brain addled?..........mine too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I'd say late '30's. No-one is carrying a gas mask (you could be fined for not carrying one)and although the picture is taken in a confined area there are no signs to indicate where the nearest air raid shelters are.The shop windows are untaped and there is no sign of any sand bags.The car appears to have "normal" headlights and there is nothing on them to deflect the lights down so they couldn't be seen from the air..
Skirts were shorter in the forties as material was rationed. The skirts are lengthy in the photo and although I cant be sure the contour of the legs leads me to believe they are wearing stockings (in short supply during and post war)
I'd say the shop was having a last grand clearance sale before shop assistants were being employed in war time employ ie factories and land work etc and money was limited.
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree....in fact I would say it was July 1939

It was before the children were born (all our family photo's tend to have pushchairs in them!)..........and all the big shops would have 'July sales'.......... I am not sure when gas masks were issued.....but I am sure you are right...

I had thought it was the following year, and she was two months pregnent !....but maybe she's looking so 'well' because married life suits her !
~~~~~~~~

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I agree with happy granny - late 30's for the same reasons

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /