Author Topic: two birth records *COMPLETED*  (Read 1938 times)

Offline babymuma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
two birth records *COMPLETED*
« on: Saturday 06 February 10 12:32 GMT (UK) »
hi all i wonder if you could help.
while searching birth records on line i have come across two different people where the birth is registered twice with two different surnames.

one is my own i was born lara sylvina swann and that what my birth cert says but my mum changed my name by deed poll to lara sylvina preston. when searching i can find swann and preston but iv been told the deed poll shouldn't change the records.

the second is my mothers she was has her full birth cert which says rosina preston but when searching for her i found rosina preston but also a rosina hambling, hambling was her mothers first husband. she now thinks that her father wasn't her father but i'm confused because i didn't think you could change birth certs.

i hope this makes sense and maybe someone could explanie to me thanks lara

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: two birth records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure someone can explain this better than me,and no you can't change birth certificates,but you can re register a child if the parent(s) no longer want to have both their names on the cert.

It happened a while ago when suddenly fathers realised they couldn't be the natural dad,so insisted their names be taken off the cert and it be reverted back to the mothers name alone.

And of course with DNA testing now it will happen more and more.

Also if the mother subsequently married and the father agrees to adopt the child a new registration will be made in the name of the new husband.

Which is not the same as deed poll- adoption is a full legal process and means that you now become a full member of the new family and give up all rights to the previous one......in caes of inheriting money etc. Don't know if you've seen Heir Hunters?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babymuma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: two birth records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks for the reply i understand it now i got a few messages and they were right he was her father just not married to her mother so it got put under both names thanks again  :)