Author Topic: Montreal..trying to find someone  (Read 11254 times)

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Montreal..trying to find someone
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 March 10 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have been thinking about Albert's travel to Canada with Fred. They may not have come directly from England to Montreal, there were a couple of other options for them. They may have stopped in Quebec City and found their way to Montreal via ground transport (ie train). Or, they could have gone to the Eastern Seaboard of the USA (ie NYC or Boston) and then on to Montreal via ground or water way.

Also, Albert could have ended up living and working in a surrounding city or town like LaChine or Trois-Rivières.

What do you think, folks?

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 March 10 08:17 GMT (UK) »
again Ive answered my own question..Ive found the admissions to the USA document where his name is Albert Travis and he is coming from Sheffield.  Thing is on the other documnet I found it looks so like davis.. more frustration...I am going to see if I can find a link to Albert Travis and Bilston at all.
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 21 March 10 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Jaquie
Ive only just noticed your post about albert being travis...after I myself worked that one out..thanks though!!

My Nan and Great grandmother both had the surname higgins.  Yes I do have her birth cert but Gr8 granny was cruel here too because she lists him as deceased and doesnot even name him.  my Nan was told her fathers name was Albert davies.  I assume it to be true because everything else has been true.  Nan was told very little else.  She did say to me that he had something todo with the car industry but she may have been getting mixed up with her Uncle Fred - young Freds dad - He was a mechanic, so I dont know.

RecentlyI met up with a cousin of my nan who is 91.  She was a bit confused but said (even thoughshe was 10 years younger than my nan) That yes she had been told that Nans Dad was called Albert davis and yes he had been to her house and had sat in her kitchen and was a handsome man. They had not let Nan go as they didnt think he would look after her.....even though they didnt very well!   

Nan was about 2 3 or 4 when he came for her I believewhich would have been about 1914-1917.
lister, blanton, higgins, russell, brittle, flavell,  birch, jones, evans, howell, wootton, marsh, marchlensky, woodward, Lewis, Sene, Prenault, Preynold, Lockett, Priest, Hassals, Nadin, Heath, Tarbuck

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 March 10 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dawnj,

I just want to confirm something. I found a marriage for a Hanna Higgins in the Jul-Sept quarter of 1909 in Stourbridge. I think that place is close to Bilston. Would that be Albert and your g-nan's marriage? Seems in line with the 1910-11 birth of the daughter, your nan, particularly if your nan was 1st child.

Has anyone you spoke to say if Albert was older/younger (and by how much) than your g-nan? That would give us an estimate of his age when he travelled with his cousin Fred.

Cheers everyone,

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline dawnyj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 21 March 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

No Hannah HIGGINS MY GR8 GRAN did not marry then as far as i am aware.  She never went far enough away from Bilston.  She married George Croot and had several children with him after my Nan was born.
 Dawn

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 21 March 10 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawnj,

Ahh..ok, I will keep looking then :-)

Cheers,

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 March 10 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I looked on the free search of FindMyPast for Albert and he seemed to have travelled to Halifax in 1913 from Bristol. That is the only one with the correct birth of 1987. I checked at Archives of Canada site and there are 2 sailings showing there:

Ship Port                                       Date of Arrival
1. ROYAL EDWARD Halifax, N.S. - 1913-01-17
2. ROYAL EDWARD Halifax, N.S. - 1913-03-12

The sailings are both from Bristol.

I attempted to read the passenger lists but the images are too small for me to read and I couldn't seem to enlarge the image. I'm wondering if someone can tell me how to enlarge the image on the archives site, thx.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 March 10 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

Sorry I meant right birth date of 1887 for Albert.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 March 10 04:24 GMT (UK) »
The Albert on the April voyage was listed as 26, single, a gardener and was going to Nelson, British Columbia. The Albert on the Sep voyage was listed as 26, a collier and was going to his brother (not named) in Halkirk, Ontario.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz