Author Topic: michael fenlon 3 wifes  (Read 33852 times)

Offline dukeslane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
michael fenlon 3 wifes
« on: Saturday 06 February 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
hi can anyone help my gg/grandfather was michael fenlon they say he married three time and had 62 children it been in news papers in ireland and ive found it in news papers in  USA arond 1953 ive found to wifes and some children the last child was born 1883 they is fenlon s still living in wexford today i no some names related to them are MOREN / LAWLOR / BERGIN / SMITH / SULIVAN if anyone has info of this family that can help me in my search so far i have a family tree of 600 names please contact me even with the smallest of info many thanks alan

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
Re: michael fenlon 3 wifes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
From my current research on a new book Remembering Wexford.
Hope it helps.
Ben Fenlon was a major character in the 1940s and into the 1950s but some of the tales about him may stretch credulity. We give them here as we found in research and recollection. Ben and his brother Michael were men ahead of their times in the world of recycling. Their cries of "Bottles, jam jars or clothes" drew hordes of young and not so young people into the battle for the planet, well the battle for a few bob actually. Ben and Michael were not expecting anything for nothing and they actually paid you for your old bottles, jars and clothes which of course they also would obtain money for. Prices were assigned by size and many a person financed their leisure activities by collecting bottles and jars in anticipation of the brothers visits.
The story about Ben is that he was the grandson of another Michael. That Michael had arrived from Carlow with the militia and eventually settled in Black Cow Lane in Thomas Street and that he fathered 60 children over three marriages. His first wife, Mary Ouselm, gave birth to 24 children. His second wife Margaret Murphy had 16 children and later Mary Murphy from Ballinslaney  would present him with another 20 children. Michael is said to have lived to the age of 99 years and died on January 11th 1900. It said that although many of the children chose to leave Wexford that for one Christmas there were 43 requiring dinner in the little family home. Michael was said to have initially supported the family by calling to houses of the poor and giving basic education in the so called Three Rs. He then set up as a General Dealer. His last direct descendant was said to be George who passed away in 1948.
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 December 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi DukesLane

Re your question raised under the 'William Street  Bar' topic heading -  thanks shorts is there any other info with them names you can give me ive been trying to research the family with not much luck 

I am replying in this thread to your question re the Fenlon's as it was going off the main topic heading.

There was no other information provided but what you can deduce from the names are

a) they are the 'head of the family' at the address in question as only 'ratepayers' were entitled to register a vote

b) more than likely they are male as the females tend to have their forenames stated

You may be interested in a George Fenlon who appears on a 1905 Parish Register page I have  - see attached. I think he died young though because he's missing from the Fenlon family living in Keysers Lane in the 1911 census. The census confirms one of his Mother's 4 children had died.

George's father (also George) seems to be George Fenelon in the 1901 census. George, then aged 18, was living with his Brother John (b c1861) in Harpers Lane. 
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline dukeslane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 December 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
thanks shorts for info the john in harpers lane is my great grandfather
yes george must have died young
george and bridget had a son george born around 1910

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 December 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
thanks shorts for info the john in harpers lane is my great grandfather
yes george must have died young
george and bridget had a son george born around 1910

The two Fenlon families that were living in Green St in 1901 had moved to Whiterock South (a rank of about 23 properties in Distillery Rd) by the 1911 census. John & Anastasia Fenlon lived in the property next to my GF's uncle - Patrick Dalton.

I assume then that your GF was the John Fenlon aged 26 living in the Folly in 1911.

As there is no George Fenlon aged 1 in the 1911 census do you think they had 2 sons named George who died young even though the census only states 1 child was not living? 

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 December 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
As there is no George Fenlon aged 1 in the 1911 census do you think they had 2 sons named George who died young even though the census only states 1 child was not living? 

Ah - I've just come across a 1903 baptism record for a Michael Fenelon  with parents George & Bridget but her maiden name (Whelan) is different to the maiden name in the 1905 baptism record (Neil) referred to above!!  Seems like it's two different Fenelon families even though there's only one George Fenlon/Fenelon in the 1911 census.

There's also a baptism record from 1902 for an Anastasia Fenelon - see below.

Offline dukeslane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 December 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
hi shorts
anastasia is my gfathers sister she was the baby of the family we called her aunt doll
the john fenlon of the folly is my gfathers brother
george fenlon was my great gfathers brother and he did have a son called michael born around that time
i also no they had a son george born around 1915?? so maybe there was to george fenlons in the town the fenlons were a very large family back then
anyhelp you can give is great thanks

Offline dukeslane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 11 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi shorts, George Fenlon and Bridget Neil lived in Stowbridge Wexford. Do you know where Stowbridge was in Wexford ?

And also a cousin of my mothers married a John Dalton from Wexford her name was Margaret Fenlon, would he (John) been related to you ?