Author Topic: CLIFFORD FAMILY FROM CARCHIVEEN  (Read 30464 times)

Offline Mary in Atlanta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CLIFFORD FAMILY FROM CARCHIVEEN
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 May 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Ginger, Brendan, and All,

I just happened to stumble onto this RootsChat when I Googled "Sigerson's Arms Hotel" and would love to share what information I have about the Sigerson (or as we spell it Segerson) family in Ireland. I am especially interested in making the connection between Sigerson Clifford and my family since discovering his poems and stories on my one visit to Ireland from Atlanta, Georgia, USA a few years ago. Tim Dennehy's musical versions of his poems, "Between the Mountains and the Sea", is one of my all time favorite CDs.

My great grandmother's maiden name was Ellen Segerson and she was born near Ballinskelligs around 1835 to Thomas and Ellen (Cary) Segerson. Her brother, Christopher had gone to the United States to study for the priesthood and when their father died around 1849 her mother, sisters and other brother joined him in the Georgetown area of Washington, D.C.

Christopher Segerson did not join the priesthood but raised a family in Georgetown and is buried at Holy Rood Cemetery. One of his grandsons, Christopher Segerson Tenley, gathered a lot of family history from his mother and on visits with Sigerson family members in Dublin and County Kerry. I have copies of letters he wrote to my Aunt Virginia when she was planing to visit Ireland back in the 1960's. They are a store house of Sigerson history!

Our Irish Sigersons are descendants of the Viking Sigur Earl of the Oarkney Islands, who fought and lost to the Irish King, Brian Boru at the battle of Clontaf in 1014. We are also related to Dr. George Sigerson, physician and scholar of Irish literature, who was the father of  the poet Dora Sigerson Shorter. And on top of that we are related to Daniel O'Connell, the Liberator, as his grandmother (or great grandmother) was a Sigerson.

Would you be interested in copies of Christopher Tenley's letters? I have been planning to transcrib them for my cousins and could post copies if you are interested.

Mary

Offline lindaseg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 May 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, just researching my family name that happens to be Sigerson. I'm originally from ballinskelligs, in co. kerry. The Sigerson name is still alive in Ballinskelligs. My father whose name is Thomas, my grand fathers name was James Sigerson who used to own a pub in Dungegan, a village in Ballinskelligs.
My aunt Rosie owns this pub to this day. I would be happy to try and help you with some research.

Offline Mary in Atlanta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 May 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
Linda,

What a trill it is to connect with a real, live Ballinskelligs Sigerson!
Did anyone in your family previously own the Sigerson's Arms Hotel? That building is supposedly where my great, great grandfather, Thomas Sigerson was born. He was reported to be a "hedge row" school teacher and died in 1849 in Dungeagan.

I just found the following web site on the Ballinskelligs Castle. Our family has always claimed it as the Sigerson Castle but this is the first time I have seen verification that it was occupied by the Sigerson family in the early 17th century.

I have to believe that your grandfather James and my gggrandfather Thomas come from the same linage. Do you know James' father and grandfather's names?

Thanks for responding!

Mary

Offline Mary in Atlanta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 May 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
In my excitement I forgot to attach the Ballinskelligs Castle website:

http://ballinskelligscastle.com/fundraising.html

Mary

Offline lindaseg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 June 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
sorry for the delay in replying mary,
I have found out that my grandfather's fathers name was thomas sigerson. not too sure on the part about the sigerson arms hotel. the previous owners of the premises were surname main. they still reside in ballinskelligs.
unfortunately, its no  longer called the sigerson arms hotel. after that name it was called mains and now it is called cable o leary's.
with regards to the castle that you mentioned, i didnt hear of the sigerson family residing there, i asked a few of my family members and they didnt know of it either so at least you gave me some new information.
it is know as the mcCarthy castle today.
so if my grandfathers father was thomas you've found the connection.
unfortunately, there isn't that many of us left. The only one that can pass on the sigerson name through getting married would be my brother. So we're few and far between.
have you ever visited the area before?

Offline Mary in Atlanta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 15:08 BST (UK) »
Linda,

Your Thomas Sigerson and my Thomas Segerson could very well be the same person! At the very least I know they are closely related because they are both from Dungeagan.

What year would you estimate your Thomas to have been born? Mine was born about 1792 and died around 1848.

I have visited Ireland only once in 2005. Unfortunately it was with a tour group of Girl Scouts and most of the adults on the tour has visited Ireland before so they skipped the Ring of Kerry. When we got to Killarney and I realized how close I was to Ballinskelligs I rented a car but only got as far as Killorglin. I was handling driving on the left side of the road until I came on a crew working on the road and scrapped a road grader!

That trip sparked my interest in my Irish family history so when I do get to Ballinskelligs I will really appreciate it. I am attaching a picture of my mother's cousin Kate Segerson taken when she visited the "Sigerson Castle" back in the 1930's.

Mary

Offline blobbyblob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 02:00 BST (UK) »
Well Ginger,

Just came across this thread tonight and finding it very interesting. I'm buried in my own family tree at the moment and we cousins - so hello from a cousin. This is through Sigersons Grandmother - Mary O'Connell who was married to Con Clifford who was Michaels father, Michael being Sigersons father.

Other information elsewhere in the thread which connects you to Daniel O'Connell on the Sigerson line is correct. Further to this, You are double related to Daniel O'Connell through the O'Connell Line.  My own grandmother would have been great friends and close cousins with the Cliffords and we would have a lot of memorabilia in the home which would carry the Clifford name from swapped books etc.

Hopefully you will get this and you can share some more information you had.

Dom

Offline blobbyblob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 02:12 BST (UK) »
Correction - The Segersons (Sigersons) were married to Daniel O'Connells Aunt Alice

Offline StoneCrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 August 12 02:48 BST (UK) »
For Lindaseg - I also posted this as a new topic - Segersons in Ballinskellig

Linda,

I would like to share some information with you regarding the Segersons. My maternal great grandmother, Mary D. Segerson, Cloghaneanua, Ballinskelligs, married my great grandfather, Daniel O'Shea, Oughtiv, Waterville on 09 February 1869.

Bill