Author Topic: CLIFFORD FAMILY FROM CARCHIVEEN  (Read 30461 times)

Offline gingerclifford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLIFFORD FAMILY FROM CARCHIVEEN
« on: Saturday 06 February 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace anyone who knew or knows anyone who was/is related or just knows, any Clifford from Kerry, especially Carchiveen, or Cork.  I am related to the late Edward (Sigerson) Clifford.  He was a well-known writer in Ireland and was the author of the well respected, 'Boys of Barr Na Strade/Srade'.    He was my uncle.  My father Gerald Clifford was one of his younger brothers.  He was also known by the name of Sigerson Clifford; Sigerson was the surname of my paternal grandmother.  I would also like to make contact with anyone who may  know any of my paternal grandmother's family, as I said they were called Sigerson. My paternal grandmother was called Mary Ann. I believe they came from Cork or even Kerry.

Thanks.

Carchiveen, Kerry, Cork, Sigerson, Clifford,

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CLIFFORD FAMILY FROM CARCHIVEEN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 10 14:03 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of Sigerson entries in the 1911 Census in the Cahirciveen and Dingle areas of Kerry. If you had a birth date for Mary Ann  Sigerson Clifford you may be able to identify other siblings.
also just came across this site which may give some more pointers. It says that Edward (Bernard ) Clifford was born in 1913 so while he will not be in the 1911 census you may find his parents.

http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irishpost/ents/irishmusic050601.asp
Hope this is of use
Regards
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline gingerclifford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 10 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annclare,

Thanks for your message. It has been really helpful; I will look at that link.  Edward Bernard Clifford was indeed my uncle and I did find his parents, although I didn't have any luck finding the Sigerson family although thanks to your link, I believe I may be more successful.

I know his mother Mary Anne was about 24 in 1911, so at least I can work backwards. Last night, I did locate my maternal grandfather's family so that has made be quite happy!

Just out of curiosity, are you related to any of my family?  I have lost contact with cousins on my father's side.  Anyway thank you again. If I can help you in any way, I would be happy to!

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 10 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Not a relative - just have an interest in Kerry research.
Have you seen this site? http://www.sigersonclifford.com/

It might give a few more clues.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline gingerclifford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 February 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annclare,

Thanks again.  I have looked at that site and even emailed the author to get more info. Hopefully he will reply!   I was only 15 when my uncle 'eddie' died and at that age you don't have the appreciation that comes with maturity!!  My mum and dad are also dead now so obviously I am limited as to who I can ask in my family.  But I am so proud of my family history and hope one day to visit my 'homestead'!  Strange, because me and siblings are the first generation born in England; everyone else has been born in Ireland.  So although I was born here I have a pull to go there!

Anyway thanks you have been great!

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »
My father was born in Cahirciveen, my 91 year old aunt still lives there. We have Sigerson relations, the Sigersons originated in Denmark.

Just checking the newspaper archives, there is a mention of Danny Sheehan who was married to a Curran returning to Cahirciveen from London with his two sons on a visit, it states that he was Sigerson's first cousin.

As I thought, your Sigersons were from Ballinaskelligs, just picked up a death notice for Thomas Sigerson father of James, it says that James was a cousin of Sigerson. this obit is 1968

That means that you have living relations, they used to own the Sigerson Arms Hotel in Ballinaskelligs, I know they still own the pub in Dungeagan.

Death of a Michael Sheehan, his father was Daniel, High Street, must be Danny above's brother, states a cousin of Sigerson.

Death notice 1971 John Joe, Sigerson's brother in London

PM me your email and I will forward you some of the articles

Brendan

Offline wilfriedvoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
@gingerclifford:
First, to introduce myself, I am Wilfried Voss, and I am the person who created the website http://www.sigersonclifford.com. The website does not contain a lot of information, only a few bits and pieces I found through the Internet (just like this forum). My intention was to find additional information on Sigerson Clifford. I received a few responses, one from a person who was a friend of Colm Sigerson Clifford, and another from Sigerson Clifford's granddaughter who promised to talk to her grandmother regarding further information. Apparently she lives in the UK and will visit her grandmother in August.
Living in the United States (Massachusetts; my wife's grandmother came from the island of Inishbofin) makes it difficult for me to find more information, and I would appreciate if we could get in touch and exchange information.

Offline gingerclifford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Wilifried Voss,

Thank you for your message. I would be happy to chat with you some more.  I think my email address is on here?  I will check.  I am not aware of Sigerson's granddaughter's whereabouts.  I would be delighted to get in touch with her, so  would you be prepared to pass on my details to her? Or she could pass her details onto you?

It would be good to be in contact again soon.

Gingerclifford

Offline wilfriedvoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Ginger,

Great hearing from you!

I don't think that any e-mail address is public on this forum, and it is not advisable to put them right here due to too many spammers looking for this kind of information...;-)

My "coded" e-mail address is: (*) - Just replace the "[at]" with "@".

Please feel free to send me another e-mail, and I will forward your request to Sigerson's granddaughter.

Regards,
Wilfried

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php