Author Topic: CLIFFORD FAMILY FROM CARCHIVEEN  (Read 30462 times)

Offline wayne 27

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CLIFFORD FAMILY FROM CARCHIVEEN
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 October 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi There, Im doing a bit of research into the Relation between Sigerson Clifford and Dan Courtney of Maulin, Dromid ,South Kerry 8 miles or so south of Cahirciveen. I am not related to Dan but am related to his family, who have on many occasion said to me that Dan originally wrote the Boys of Barr na Sraide , he sent the song to Sigerson for his opinion but never got a reply back, As it turned out the song was sung on a radio program in the early 1950s called "The Ballad Makers Saturday night by Sean O Siochain (who was a friend of Sigersons) and the rest is history. Dan was born in 1888 and died in 1963. A surprising fact is that this song was not published in the 1st edition of Ballad of a Bogman in 1955?. My research shows that Dans Mother Ellen Connell( Grand niece of the Liberator) was a Sister of Sigersons G Grandfather Michael O Connell. One of Dans surviving daughters recalled how it was composed stating that the main change from the original version is in the last verse , she states that her father wrote ; And when I take my long last sleep, and death shall come to me, then lay me down in that old town between the hills and see, Ill take my sleep in those green fields, where first my life began, Where the Boys of Barr na Sraide went hunting for the wran.I would be interested what in your thoughts on this matter, and would make available a number of songs that Dan composed thru out his lifetime, so comparisons can be made with the Boys and his other songs. Kindest regards.

Offline Pruby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello is Ginger Clifford still active on here,we are related to the Clifford family and would very much like to get in touch

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 July 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Pruby,

There has been a problem with GingerCliffords emails until today but this has now been fixed.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 October 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ginger,

I'm your cousin,  Sigerson Clifford was my father and your Dad was my uncle, if you are still on here get in touch.

All the best Sheila ;D

Offline Eadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 October 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello I am Sigerson Clifford's daughter, so are you a relative of mine?

All the best Sheila

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 October 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

Welcome to RootsChat :) When you reply to a post a notification will go out to the users. Lets hope to see Ginger soon.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pruby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 July 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
we are related to the Clifford family , Christina Clifford (Lovena)married name Cousins, being my Grandmother and sister to Sigerson Clifford, would be very interested to connect with anyone connected to the family.

Offline gingerclifford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello to everyone and it's lovely to hear from you all. 8)

Sorry, I haven't been on here for a while and even to get on today I had to log in via facebook.

Hi Shelia, you are my cousin x

Hi Pruby, I remember your grandmother very well! She was my lovely aunt, and she wanted to look after me when my father died. x

My dear brother Michael, was trying to find out as much as he could about our families, but he died suddenly 4 years, so I am continuing. I hope we can keep in touch now and get to know more about each other. In the meantime, friend me on facebook: Jayne Clifford-Greening. Even though I am married, I have kept my own name. I want to pass on as much to my children as I can about the Cliffords. My husband's surname is Greening, but it is a name adopted by his family so they can't find nor trace their real surname.

I always talk to them about their famous Uncle Edward  x

8) ;D 8)
Hi There, Im doing a bit of research into the Relation between Sigerson Clifford and Dan Courtney of Maulin, Dromid ,South Kerry 8 miles or so south of Cahirciveen. I am not related to Dan but am related to his family, who have on many occasion said to me that Dan originally wrote the Boys of Barr na Sraide , he sent the song to Sigerson for his opinion but never got a reply back, As it turned out the song was sung on a radio program in the early 1950s called "The Ballad Makers Saturday night by Sean O Siochain (who was a friend of Sigersons) and the rest is history. Dan was born in 1888 and died in 1963. A surprising fact is that this song was not published in the 1st edition of Ballad of a Bogman in 1955?. My research shows that Dans Mother Ellen Connell( Grand niece of the Liberator) was a Sister of Sigersons G Grandfather Michael O Connell. One of Dans surviving daughters recalled how it was composed stating that the main change from the original version is in the last verse , she states that her father wrote ; And when I take my long last sleep, and death shall come to me, then lay me down in that old town between the hills and see, Ill take my sleep in those green fields, where first my life began, Where the Boys of Barr na Sraide went hunting for the wran.I would be interested what in your thoughts on this matter, and would make available a number of songs that Dan composed thru out his lifetime, so comparisons can be made with the Boys and his other songs. Kindest regards.

That's interesting and I would like to hear more. x
Carchiveen, Kerry, Cork, Sigerson, Clifford,

Offline Pruby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
hi ginger I have sent a message on   facebook to 2   Jayne Clifford-Greening it wouldn't let me send a friends request to one it did the other ,but not sure if they are both you !! so will waitm to hear bk