Author Topic: Looking for Jersey Wedding - THOMAS HOLMES AND MARY HURFORD *Completed*  (Read 4515 times)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Looking for Jersey Wedding - THOMAS HOLMES AND MARY HURFORD *Completed*
« on: Sunday 07 February 10 02:11 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor THOMAS HOLMES  was born in Ashampstead Berkshire on 4th January 1783.

He was a Chelsea Pensioner having served with the 3rd Royal Veteran Battalion, 52nd Foot Regiment, and was discharged aged 30 in 1814.

He was based in Jersey (not sure of exact dates) where he met his wife, St Brelades (or possibly St Helier) Jersey born MARY HURFORD (Surname may have a variation!).

Their children were all born and baptised in Ashampstead Berkshire - from the eldest (who is to my knowledge so far) JANE HOLMES born in 1820 through to the youngest WILLIAM HOLMES born in 1841.

I have traced them on the 1841 Census in Ashampstead (under the surname HOMES rather than HOLMES) and by 1851 they have returned to Jersey and appear in St Helier in that Census.  They remain in Jersey until their death.

My quest is to find the Marriage details of THOMAS HOLMES AND MARY HURFORD.

I have not managed to trace their Wedding details in Jersey.  MARY was born in St Brelades Jersey (or possibly St Helier) approx 1799 (her death records her as being 62 at the time of her death in 1861).

I did check to see if they married in Ashampstead Berkshire and posted in that forum, but there are no records of a Wedding for them there, so thought I would just check to see if the marriage happened in Jersey at all.

I wonder if anyone could help or has any inspiration.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jersey Wedding - THOMAS HOLMES AND MARY HURFORD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I have found this marriage in St Brelade. It is in a section labelled 'Inconnu' which usually means that one or both parties were born outside the island.

27/4/1817 Tho. Holmes and Mary Halford (B) - which stands for St Brelade

There is also this St Brelade baptism which is a bit puzzling as it gives 2 dates 13 years apart

29/7/1798 and 26/9/1811 Mary (born 22/9/1878 Southampton) daughter of Thomas Hurford HM 58th Reg and Jane. Godparents Edward Le Sueur and Mary Nicolle, his wife.

Following on, another Inconnu marriage in St Brelade

5/8/1798 Tho Hurford (Soldat - Soldier) and Jeanne Le Brocq (B)

Despite the 'shotgun' wedding the dates seem to fit in quite well  - they could be yours, I'll leave it for you to decide!

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jersey Wedding - THOMAS HOLMES AND MARY HURFORD
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
JerseyLily I am so very appreciative.  This sounds like my family in question indeed.

Thank you.  Big thank you.

Hope all is well in Jersey.  I am Guernsey born and bred, but moved to New Zealand where I now live in 1998.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline kiwidealz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jersey Wedding - THOMAS HOLMES AND MARY HURFORD *Completed*
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Thank you for this information. I am descended from Eliza Holmes and Joseph Barre. I live in New Zealand as Joseph and Eliza's son Joseph John James emigrated here in the 1800's. I have bene trying to find out Mary's names for years...so thank you so much

Kim

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 February 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi kiwidealz,

If it helps Mary Hurford was baptized in St Brelade on September 29th, daughter of Thomas and Jane Le Brocq.

Offline kiwidealz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 February 15 07:20 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much....appreciate the help