Author Topic: Help with school Facts  (Read 5329 times)

Offline DG8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with school Facts
« on: Sunday 07 February 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I am 61 years of age and I would like someone to help with a fact.

When I was 5 years of age I went to Stranraer Academy which at that time was a primary school (now the Technical college) I then moved to Park School until I was 13/14 when I went to secondary school which was the Academy and what we called the annex which I believe is now the RC School(beside the Ryan centre) but was the High School.  My sister in law say the academy was never a secondary school and I disagree. Can anyone help solve this question.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help with school Facts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
A little bit of history on the Stranraer Academy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranraer_Academy

Hope it helps!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DG8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 10 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help Monica - while it gave me a little information on the old building in Lewis Street/Academy Street it was more focused on the new buildings out the London Road.

But I thank you for your efforts to assist me.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 February 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I googled it and found a couple of snippets which might help (unfortunately I have since forgotten where I found them :-[ ).

The Academy was the primary school, then in 1965 there were 2 secondary schools set up, the Academy and the High School. These were amalgamated in 1970.

I think this would have been around the time that you attended which may be why is all seems a bit odd, the schools were being chaged around every few years!

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3911&contactid=4085

Hope this helps

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline DG8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 February 10 16:40 GMT (UK) »
That is what I need it fits my dates spot on. When I was five (56 years ago) I went to the Academy primary school I do not remember how long I attended but one day the class teacher left the class and two brother's (one now a prominent figure in  Stranraer) attacked me and smashed my hips, I ended up in hospital and had to learn how to walk again.

Because I had missed over a year of schooling, when I went back I found that I had been transferred to the Park school and was held back a year.

At the age of 13?? I went to my secondary school which was the Academy. The friendly banter is that I attended the Academy as a primary and secondary pupil. My sister in law maintains the Academy was just a junior (primary ) school

Thank you very much for your help I think your input has settled our argument unless someone else Knows any other information?

All the best.

Offline trufflehunt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 August 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I came across your post while doing a search of when the old Stranraer High School was demolished
( couldn't find anything ).

The Ryan Centre now appears to occupy the site of the High School.

My family moved to Stranraer in 1963, and I attended Rephad Primary.
As far as I was aware at the time, there were 3 primary schools in operation in Stranraer...,
Rephad, Park, and Sheucan.

In 1964 I started secondary education at the High School. 
My father taught at the Academy. It was definitely a secondary school at that time.
I'm unsure what building he taught at.
Next door to the High School was the building called the Academy Annexe.   As I recall, it was white, in a modernist 1930's style. Rather similar to the building there today ( the same one ? ).

In 1965, pupils of the Academy, and the High School, moved to the new separate Academy and High Schools out at London Road/McMasters Road. Between the school complexes were gym/PE buildings and a swimming pool. 

My family moved away in 1969.  In 1970, the schools were renamed under the one title of Stranraer Academy. ( and went comprehensive ? )

Hope this helps

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 August 19 16:50 BST (UK) »

Hi,
    If you are on Facebook there is a page -- "Stranraer and District Memories "there someone will

more than likely able to help you . There are a lot of locals on it plus many who have left the area .

All with a lots of local knowledge

suzilad