Author Topic: Agnew.Ballymena? change of name?!!  (Read 14606 times)

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Agnew.Ballymena? change of name?!!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
1911 census... edward johnstone 26 born 1886 edinburgh..lance corporal 6th draggon guards
overseas military...i know thats what reg he was in..think the census says  south africa..i have records for him being there.....maybe he said he was born there because thats where he was living in 1901..on 1901 census it says he was born in ireland?!! 

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 February 10 19:04 GMT (UK) »
You could consider asking either the Ballymena Guardian or Ballymena Times newspapers to carry a copy of the photo you have and asking if anyone recognises this as being part of their own  Agnew family history? You never know, it may generate some leads.

Certainly, looking at the death indexes, there were a number of Samuel Agnews lived in the Ballymena in the 1800s....so the name does fit with the area.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 18:26 GMT (UK) »
funny you should say about the photo!! i had same thought today!!  he may well  jog someones memory!!  Will get it copied and do that when i get a chance..not 100 per cent he is def Samuel? but he is an Agnew!   

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
You can post the photo on this thread too, and you never know who may read/view same.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a break through!!  I went on scotlands people looking for deaths of ELIZABETH AGNEW..but prior to that looked at births for a WILLIAM ROBERT AGNEW on familysearch..there was one right age..father though is william henry agnew? and a peggy jane craig..well anyway when i looked again at deaths ..there was one in right place edinburgh in 1919 maiden name craig!!  but as i saw on census its ELIZABETH AGNEW!!  paid for more credits and it does give brill info!!  it was correct address as in 1901 and same friend who sent the letter..also it says widow of SAMUEL AGNEW!! 
he was a church officer.   The marriage on family search was put on by someone!!  so dont know what to do next..i did look for a death for samuel..but not one in edinburgh.he may not have died there?!!  but at least now i know the photo is him and got her name and her parents name..the info on familysearch says born  glenhugh ballyconnely antrim..is that near Ballymena?
would be grateful for more help or input....i did see a civil service record on Ancestry for william robert agnew and edward johnstone..both born same date and place..he was a tax inspector after leaving the army..many thanks for help  so far  Lynn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 February 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Index to Irish civil registrations (up to 1921 for N.I. counties) is online (free)-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Many many thanks..found his birth..but not a marriage for his parenst os his mothers parents..can i get the birth from 1884 from Ballymena?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 February 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Ballymena will have marriage records that took place in that registration district. See here for ordering N.I. certificates-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,383526.0.html

The index to civil registration covers births, deaths and Catholic marriages from 1864 and other marriages from 1845. For N.I. counties the index stops 1921.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 February 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. A William Henry Agnew married a Peggy Jane Craig at Ballymena 1st Presby Church in 1855 (27th July).