Author Topic: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana  (Read 37851 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 11 February 10 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Roger Gavin was dobbed to the police by his step-son, William Kearney ... (William is a possible half-brother to CC McN, the lass in the topic of this thread).   In the court at Gavin's hearing, there's Catherine Kearney ...

Gavin (by then a police constable) was sprung (by William Kearney) harbouring an escaped female convict ...  To me, William Kearney has found his own way to repay his step-father for any "wrongs" ... perhaps one of which was a prying eyes dob by Constable Gavin to Gov Arthur's administration regarding Thomas Ransom's impediment...

Saturday 17 June 1826   HTG ... very interesting article...  (note Gavin was a pound keeper at Coal River in early 1819, perhaps that leads to his constable status in 1825 or earlier, not sure, and I think that would be a definite side track, off this thread's topic)

Cheers,  JM

EDIT TO ADD
,  Roger Gavin appointed a Police Constable 29 April 1824, announced in HTG 30 April 1824 ... now that gives him a) motive, and , b) opportunity to be the source of the PRYING EYES dobber .... and c) when Thomas Ransom gets his licence for his new hotel The Roual Oak, then Gavin has "failed" s Gavin then acts outside the law himself, to d) Feb 1826, hides a female convict, and so e) CCMC N's brother DOBS on their step-father, ......  crime never pays  ;D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline davclem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 11 February 10 04:18 GMT (UK) »
•Back to McGuire- I found this note in my file- have i missed something in past posts about this?

Certificate of Emancipation for James McQuire, alias McNally issued 1 May 1811. ?
David
Juler- NWNorfolk , Thomas/Alice ,pre 1800,
Clement-Durham, Eng,pre 1800
Holroyd, Staffordshire, pre 1750
Amelia Wyatt/Cole/Booth,  born Surrey ,abt 1821
John Wentworth who married Sarah Holmes, Carshalton,pre 1785
John Frith married Ann, Yorkshire/pre 1770, Settrington?
Alice Miles married Holkham Norfolk to Juler about 1745
Thomas Sanders , Buckland 1700s
Richard Adams , tailor , Lambeth ,about 1780-1830
Earliest reference to Break O'Day Plains, Eastern Tasmania, before 1820

Offline davclem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 11 February 10 04:24 GMT (UK) »
 may 1811 TOL  Mcguire allias Mcnally was also date of Peserverance with James Mcanally alias Wilson , with Catherine Rooke aboard: James Mcnally per Marquis Cornwall absent from records since 1806 David

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 11 February 10 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
•Back to McGuire- I found this note in my file- have i missed something in past posts about this?

Certificate of Emancipation for James McQuire, alias McNally issued 1 May 1811. ?
David

That's the sailor on the same voyage as Catherine , out on the Perserverance later in month of May 1811...  that's the chap ex Fortune/Alexander, pilotage chap at Newcastle before obtaining his CE ...  I've checked the image of the arrival, and I mentioned that late on second thread,  it's NOT a capitalised "Q", (ie looks nothing like the number 2 handwritten), its definitely a lower case "g" or "q", and other images show it to be "g".  Its McQuire in printed text, perhaps by virtue of a transcriber not recognising that Mcguire was a surname, and presuming it ought to be McQuire

I've spotted him again I think,  James Macanally at PD, supplying wheat to the stores, Saturday 23 March 1822 HTG ...

From here in 21st century NSW, albeit, I am currently on a farm in central west.  with my inlaws, first settled early 1820's ... with unsawn timber sheds in background view,  I feel this could be the KEY to the solution to Wiggy's puzzle ...  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 11 February 10 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Re James McNally per Boddington

Found him in NSW "seaman" 7 years expired 1799 noting this 1817 NSW Muster shows he arrived Boddington, tried Dublin, Feb 1792.

Cheers,  JM .... not sure if that helps or hinders with the search for CC McN ... but I'm sure David will find it interesting  ;D

EDIT to add, found same chap on 1820 NSW muster, same info, "in the colony", "seaman"

Further Edit to add, found same chap on 1821 NSW muster, exact same info, as first edit  and he is also on NSW muster 1818, same info, seaman....  Did he return to PJ especially for the Musters  ;D

Offline davclem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 11 February 10 06:28 GMT (UK) »
the following is in  the Tasmanian Archives Office "Departures" index

'John MacNally, seaman, 28 January 1818, from Hobart,per" Governor Macquarie", to Port Dalrymple and Port Jackson"

A John, not a James, quite regularly on Governor Macquarie

David

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 11 February 10 06:48 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

But alas, NO sighting for a John McNally, ex Boddingtons on any NSW Musters ...  Umm, wonder at which point along the coast on the many voyages of that vessel, in that decade that MCNALLY, the seaman changed his papers over to read James or John....  ::) perhaps he had two sets of clothing, one for the trip down the coast, (as James) and another for the trip up, as John. 

David,  ;) I now understand the Tweedledum references ...  ;D  ....  Seems to me to be the SAME seaman ... perhaps HE had a sense of humour ... Can you find either of them on any VDL musters for ships in port at HT or PD etc ...

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 11 February 10 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Conditional Pardon  1 Jan 1814 to James Mcguire on NSW State Archives  ;)   There's that 11 years that Thomas Ransom wrote about in reference to his Publican's licence !

Wiggy, I think you should consider ordering a photocopy of that document, by snail mail or online (you will need plastic card) .... it should have full description, listing any known alias' names, his year of birth, his place of birth, date of arrival, name of ship he came on, etc.   I think there's a possibility that he may have been CC McN's relative or perhaps he was Thomas McNally's father ...

On the second thread, towards the end of the posts, I posted the details about ordering by snail mail from NSW records .... you can order up to 5 files, at a time, the fee includes admin and postage, so the first file is (from memory) around $25, but the next 4 are around $1.50 each.   

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/quicksearch.aspx and http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/keyname_search.asp

for example, consider ordering at the same time, the Certificate of Emancipation for James McQuire, alias James McNally issued May 1811 ... it should also have similar info to the Conditional Pardon, so you can compare and notice similarities or differences.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 11 February 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Phew!!    Hard to keep up with all your activity!  I am watching though!  Got nothing new to add!

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.