Author Topic: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana  (Read 37861 times)

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,

390149 - is the one we are interested in  - that registration is at Thomas's baptism, when she was in a relationship with Thomas Snr.

390153 is the same woman marrying but now known as Christina.

She hides well does our lady!   ::)

Wiggy          :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Sylvia's post reminded me of something I too had noticed on that link...

I remember that one of the vessels that Captain William ROOK mastered was the "Rosetta" ... and that there's an index reference on the TAO link that Sylvia supplied, that indicates a birth in 1828 of a Rosetta MCNALLY .... perhaps a candidate for the young lass that Mr Cash spotted in the 1830's ... at Catharine's property when Cash was working there ...  Rosetta is an unusual name, and seems to me to point back to Captain Rook ....

David was hoping this riddle would be solved by yesterday .... Umm, well I am hoping it will be solved soon too.   I think, Wiggy, you may need to obtain some certificates/records of the various indexed items on the three threads, and then sit down and put them in some kind of order (chronological by event perhaps) and figure the puzzle out ...   ;)

I will be away and not near a PC for several days, (I hear many of the experienced RChatters on this board saying "Thank Goodness  ;) ... in the nicest way of course.... )  

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Sylvia
it's so good to have new eyes looking at this puzzle but being mindful of the moderater's request:

we are now at part Part 3. Pease try to add new information and not to repost everything from these 2 previous threads or we will be at part 4 before we know it. Thank You.

you should perhaps at least scan through the material dissected in the earlier two threads to save duplicating what has been covered and to get a grasp on the full depth of Wiggy's, Davclem and JM's research.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=412225.new;topicseen#new
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,436335.0.html

I'm left speechless by their research but enjoy following and stirring the possum with theories and ideas. We have disproved several theories and still look at others.

new ideas on what we have are what is needed to solve this.

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Have a nice break JM -

if you only knew how many certificates etc I have to hand and how often i've looked at them and juggled them.   Still obtaining more and looking, looking, looking.
the comment about Rosetta McNally is interesting - worth a follow up!

Wiggy

Edit - Forgot - Anne was older;  22 in 1840. Rosetta won't do!  See old thread.
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Just a thought ... remember Jane Spencer's reference to Mrs Ransom, in the Sydney Gaz of Thursday 25 August 1825.  Jane's advertisement includes the following .... I was advised by my mistress, Mrs Ransom ...." 

I have at hand a 1911 Concise Oxford Dictionary, so I looked up 'mistress' (yes, I have books printed earlier than that) .... there's 7 meanings listed there in that edition.  And I have understood that this dictionary was organised so that the most usual meaning was listed first, and the least usual was listed last ... 

mistress n
1. Woman in authority over servants; female head of household
no mention of any sexual relationship between unmarried couples until meaning no. 4.
7. (As title) see MRS.    (so I did !)

MRS. n  Title prefixed to surname of married woman who has no superior title;  Abbr of MISTRESS ...

My point being that  "Mrs. Ransom" is the name that others used when referring to Catharine, but so far, after all the many pages of these threads, there's no sighting of either Thomas or Catharine actually referring to Catharine as Mrs Ransom.  In 1828 attestment papers for the 1826 incident,Catharine used the surname McNally (see first thread) ....  When in 1820, Thomas born Nov 1820 was baptised in Dec 1820, Catharine used the surname McNally ....  And in the 1829 will, Thomas simply chose not to explain the relationship at all , but he called her McNally .... 

Does it not thus follow that there was NO common law wife/husband relationship ... It is entirely possible that she was employed by him as the Woman in authority over the servants. 

I would be interested to read a transcript of the entire letter that Thomas Ransom wrote to Gov Arthur about the issues affecting his publican's licence in 1825 .... particularly in comparing the various rules / regulations as administered by the various "regimes" in VDL and in respect of the various changes to those regulations.  The impediment was not causing the issue for his licence under previous annual reviews ..  The impediment occured the same year that Thomas was transferred to VDL .... 

Wiggy, what's the information on the certificates and etc that you have at hand and have been juggling specifically for the year 1814 .... perhaps the key to your puzzle is found within those certificates ...

Wiggy, so your edit to the post about Rosetta .... does that mean you already have a copy of the TAO file on that birth, and also that you are dismissing ALL of the references to your very own Catharine from the Cash story ... see your point 8 on your summary on this very thread ... Ummmmmm   ::) 
Must go,

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Robyn, Re post 11, don't forget your own very considerable contribution to the research on this topic!!

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 01:11 GMT (UK) »
McNalty         Catherine           Middlesex          17     09    1806   ENGLAND   ...   ...

just in case

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Sylvia,   ;)

You are just going to have take Robyn's advice (post 11) and set aside a day or two to read over the previous threads - 'we've been everywhere man'  (or woman in your case!)  Well nearly everywhere!   Those experts helping me been pretty thorough! 
She is there somewhere though!!

Wiggy   :D
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm using a wireless connection, at present.  I think I have FOUND something very significant at the TAO link that Sylvia reminded us about...

1. On the summary at page 1 of one of those threads, Wiggy notes that she has the death certificate for the death in 1829 of Thomas, but that it shows he was a widower, and his spouse was a Sarah Stanfield with 15 un-named children, and of Killymoon, Fingal, VDL .... errr ... its near where Thomas Ransom's rural licence operated when he died ....  ;D

We've obtained T. RANSOM  death certificate, (but no parents named, no wife named, no children named.)  The dates do match though!!     He was a widower and he had 15 children!! His wife was Sarah Stanfield and they lived at Killymoon near Fingal, Tasmania.  

2. Captain William ROOK has been cited frequently by David and by Moi and among the vessels for him are the Rosetta which was later renamed the Prince Leopold upon its purchase by the order of Lachlan Macquarie.

3. At the TAO archives index online, there's a Daniel Stanfield departure on the Prince Leopold out of Hobart 12 August 1819, to PJ.

So,  errr.... who was Daniel Stanfield ?  .... who were his parents ? Was he one of the un-named children of Sarah, who was the WIFE of Thomas Ransom ....  Was that Sarah the WIFE mentioned for Thomas Ransom in the VDL 1819 wife ...

How else is Daniel Stanfield connected to a) Thomas Ransom (perhaps Daniel's father or step-father) b) William Rook (his captain on the vessel Prince Leopold in 1819)

And of course, can Wiggy find the names for the rest of Sarah Stanfield's children .....  And also, when did Sarah Stanfield, wife of T Ransom, DIE ...   perhaps SHE was the prying eyes  ::)

Cheers, I so hope my wireless connection works  ;D 

JM