Author Topic: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana  (Read 37832 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: still Searching for origins of MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,

The lass from that trial of 1806, she was still in NSW in 1825, her transportation papers showing she was wife of a Michael Mcnalty ("ux" on her records), same info on various musters in NSW but I'm not sure where she was in 1828  .... 

Fresh eyes are great, but please may I also encourage you to read back through the threads ,

;D Perhaps all of us need to read back through  ;D, and make separate draft check lists to avoid duplication searchings  ::) ....  Then perhaps Wiggy can prioritise the combined check list, to then post separate, specific requests for each piece of information that she cannot sort out, or cannot research for herself ..

Many cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 03:52 GMT (UK) »
JM,

I reread those pages Thomas Ransom and Sarah Standfield = Thomas McNally and his wife and 15 children. No rely # 8 first thread wiggy's res[onse
Yep - all correct so far! Those Ransom children are the offspring of Thomas Junior.   t Thomas senior;

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn,

I think there's two generations of STANFIELD in VDL on or before 1819 ....  I think Wiggy's #8 reply was in reply to a query about Catharine Christiana McNally's daughter's marriage and subsequent children ... 

If you get a chance, online newspapers, search for Daniel Stanfield in early 1820's .... there's Daniel Stanfield Snr, Daniel Stanfield Jnr, Thomas Ranfom (ie old style for "s') all with grain for the gov. stores all mentioned in same advertisements,  there's a mill, there's court cases involving Stanfield and a government official,  and marriage for a daughter named Sarah Stanfield,   I'm of the view that Catharine Christiana McNally's background was never the impediment, after all, she married less than twelve months after Thomas Ransom's death ....   

I won't have a chance to check further, I'm at my aged in-laws with a list of urgent chores to attend to ... 

Do you think my suggestion of a check list and for Wiggy to prioritise and etc would be sensible ....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Robyn is correct - the death certificate was for Thomas Junior and was 1904.  Sarah Stanfield was his wife and daughter of Daniel Stanfield Junior.  D. Snr arrived in Aust in 1788 and in VDL in 1804.  And yes I have all the children's names of T 2.  All present and correct.  Sarah died in an accident in 1890.

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Been reading back over two very long threads and once again I need to say a very big thank you to all who have been and are still contributing to the search for my Gx3 grandmother - I am very grateful to you all, specially Robyn JM and David who have been there almost from the beginning.  Haven't said it lately but I think it often! 
Thanks folks!

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Back on this wireless thingy ...  ;D  Thanks Wiggy for your thanks...

Solved a minor mystery for you re Thomas Ransom mention (one first thread) re two bricks, one man, and a librarian who said no record of Boat Builder...

He built the schooner "Hunter" when on Norfolk Island.  He received  half yearly payments from VDL Govt office for his position as Superintendent of Boat Builder, .... its in the newspapers ... ten to twelve pounds regular around 1819, 1820 ... and he was the Superintendent when VDL purchased the "Prince Leopold" for use in Hobart Town  1819 ... they paid twelve hundred pounds and thirteen shillings ...

See Friday 20 October 1826 Colonial Times etc   for the cutting re the vessel he built on Norfolk Island...

See Hobart TG Saturday 19 June 1819 for example of Superintendent of Boat Builder, and for purchase of the Prince Leopold, and for delivery of fresh meat by Thomas for Govt Stores... 

Re Fresh Meat deliveries .... also noticing a Catherine KEARNEY (say this name in full, aloud ... could be Catharine McNally  ;D ) delivering fresh meat from as early as January 1818 ... 

Wiggy, would you  please consider if  the suggestion for a check list etc would help....  sharing the load... and also please consider listing the certificates/documents you already have on either Catharine Christiana McNally, her son Thomas, or daughter Ann, or on Thomas Ransom (Snr). 

Otherwise, I can see this thread developing into another long thread, which must seem to any RChatter to be daunting task to even consider to join your efforts to find your Catharine,

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Umm...

Catherine Kearney ... arrived on the Marquis Cornwallis, under a seven year sentence, in 1796 ... She had several known alias' and she spent time on Norfolk Island  ::)...  an online search shows a researcher has "lost" her in Hobart  by 1830 ...  I mention this as it is same year that Catharine Christiana McNally married Fred  ::)

Aliases include McKearman, McKearnan.   Several relationships, including one with a chap surnamed WILSON (an alias noted on second thread as one used by James McGuire) and including one in 1808 on Norfolk Island (but not with Thomas Ransom) ...  She was tried at Philliptown (King County Ireland) ... On VDL muster 1811 as Catherine Kearney at Hobart Town ..  TAO shows her as arriving VDL from NI in March 1808 on the Lady Nelson...

Err.... so that's at least one Catherine Mc from Ireland to NSW, to NI, to VDL ... and err... judging by her age, she may have fibbed to Fred ... she could be plus 40 when Thomas was baptised in 1820 ...  (or perhaps a printer's error in the newspaper Friday 21 August 1857  ;D )

Cheers, Happy Hunting  ;D

JM

Offline davclem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Morning Team,just an update, no breakthroughs!
I have posted a response to Pam Fogerty on Wiggy's West Indies thread enquiring about her GGG3 Rosetta McNally- there appears a link between McNally-Rook- Rosetta ( being the ship of William Rook in 1816 per Colonial Secretary Index) that must be significant.
We also have Catherine Rook born 1793 at Millbrook, Southampton (cf Millbrook property of Catherine McNally/Ransom/Stieglitz) and Rostta Rook born 1841 at Chalton Hampshire, who seem to be the same family( see previous posts).
I have logged every William Rook Sydney Gazette reference 1803-1826 and researched several of the ships eg Rosetta, Perseverance, Gov Macquarie, Elizabeth and Mary, and sealing and whaling in general- no further clues there, but curious that no mention in Gazette of the supposed death in 1825 of the 'well known ' Captain William Rook of frostbite on the Prince of Denmark. I have asked Mitchell library about him and expect reply in next 10 days
David
Juler- NWNorfolk , Thomas/Alice ,pre 1800,
Clement-Durham, Eng,pre 1800
Holroyd, Staffordshire, pre 1750
Amelia Wyatt/Cole/Booth,  born Surrey ,abt 1821
John Wentworth who married Sarah Holmes, Carshalton,pre 1785
John Frith married Ann, Yorkshire/pre 1770, Settrington?
Alice Miles married Holkham Norfolk to Juler about 1745
Thomas Sanders , Buckland 1700s
Richard Adams , tailor , Lambeth ,about 1780-1830
Earliest reference to Break O'Day Plains, Eastern Tasmania, before 1820

Offline davclem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Wiggy,

Wasn't Catherine Kearney another of your G3s?  David
Juler- NWNorfolk , Thomas/Alice ,pre 1800,
Clement-Durham, Eng,pre 1800
Holroyd, Staffordshire, pre 1750
Amelia Wyatt/Cole/Booth,  born Surrey ,abt 1821
John Wentworth who married Sarah Holmes, Carshalton,pre 1785
John Frith married Ann, Yorkshire/pre 1770, Settrington?
Alice Miles married Holkham Norfolk to Juler about 1745
Thomas Sanders , Buckland 1700s
Richard Adams , tailor , Lambeth ,about 1780-1830
Earliest reference to Break O'Day Plains, Eastern Tasmania, before 1820