Author Topic: LEEKE and WILKINSON  (Read 24048 times)

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 November 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Have finally found Rose Cottage! right where it always was- in the townland of Cullycapple just across from St. Mary's (present chapel).

Many thanks for finding Rose Cottage for me. I took a look on Google Maps opposite St Mary's where you said. I've always wondered where it was!

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the wife and children of Francis Leek of Ballymultimber, Tamlaghtard (Magilligan, Co. L/Derry) b:1810  d:4 May 1874 (64 yrs). He was the father of Charles Leek b: 1852  d: 1936 (84 yrs) who was earlier dicussed on this thread, and (it would appear) the son of Francis, also of Ballymultimber, who died 26 December 1837.

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 December 09 04:03 GMT (UK) »
A descendant of William Wilkinson Brown who is in Australia passed on an important piece of information regarding Willy's father. Her version of the family lore passed down from Willy to his sons does not include him having a career in the RIC like Willy's brother, Samuel James, but rather:
"SAMUEL JAMES BROWN Sr. who dies in 1893 was  the head gardener at Johnstown Castle Co Wexford where his son Samuel was born."

She also believes that "Samuel senior died before Jane gave birth to Willy, (as) he was born in Co Derry, she went home to her parents after his death."

Furthermore she also believes that "because they were married at Holyhead Wales that my (her)  family roots may be in Wales, because times were so hard I don't think he would have been buried in Wales."

This is very interesting, I think, as Willy himself would have directly related this information to his own children in Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 December 09 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting and complete surprise- quite likely to be true considering the source but if so wonder where story about being in the police came from (and I did think it strange they got married in Wales).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 February 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Christine Isabel Leek, b: 1 Jan 1906 – Daughter of George and Sarah J, married James McLarey (14/12/1927)
Elizabeth Leeke, b: 1907 – Daughter of Joseph and Bessie, 16 Barnwall Place, Londonderry, married William James Gray (09/09/1926)
William Leek, b: 1908 – Son of George and Sarah J, married Elizabeth Kerr (23/05/1929)
George Leeke, b: 1910    d: 4 Sept 1910 (10dys) – Son of Joseph and Bessie, 16 Barnwall Place, Londonderry
Edward Leek, b: 1926    d: 11 Oct 1927 (7 mo)

Offline missinglink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 March 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) Hi I was surfing the net and came across your blogging!! I am the grandaughter of Samuel James Browne and Rachel Doherty. I have a photo of Willie Wilkinson and my grandmothers granny -I have some of the Browne family tree.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 March 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Donna. We aren't allowed to post details of living people but I'm sure Julesleeke will be delighted to see your message. After you've made 3 posts you'l be able to use PM (personal message) system to exchange recent family details, email address, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline missinglink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 March 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Ooops! ??? I have now modified the post.

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 March 10 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna
I would love to see the photograph you have of William Wilkinson Browne and find out some more about the Browne family tree. The moderator (Aghadowey) has been a really big help in providing me with key pieces of information about your great grandmother, Jane Wilkinson's family. She sent me a family tree which you might perhaps like to take a look at. Regarding the Browne family, we came to a bit of a standstill as nobody seems quite sure where Jane's first husband, Samuel Browne, came from. In my family there was really very little known about him. I've been informed by an Australian relative that he was the head gardener at Johnstown castle in Co Wexford. Our version of family lore had him down as an RIC man like his son.