Author Topic: convicts families arrivals in Australia  (Read 16004 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: convicts families arrivals in Australia
« Reply #36 on: Monday 21 June 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn,

Yes, Kitty can be used as a pet name for Catherine.  Despite what the family were told, Catherine McMAHON was not necessarily the woman that John married before he was transported.  ;)

Debra

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 18 July 10 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All
dose any one have any suggestions where I can  find in Australia or Ireland or know someone that could do a look up in Ireland for John and Catherine marriage certificate,John trial, or is there any other convict records that would show John parents Chatso58 

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 18 July 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All
dose any one have any suggestions where I can  find in Australia or Ireland or know someone that could do a look up in Ireland for John and Catherine marriage certificate,John trial, or is there any other convict records that would show John parents Chatso58 

Hi Chatso,
Re. his trial and records, I gave the following reply back on page one of this thread:

I had a look at the Irish Convict Transportation Database too, but can't see John DONNELLAN...however on reading the info page:
While the collection of convict petitions dates from the beginning of transportation from Ireland to Australia in 1791, all transportation registers compiled before 1836 were destroyed in the Four Courts fire of June 1922. Therefore, if the person you are researching was convicted before 1836, but was not the subject of a petition, he or she will not appear on this database. In other words, the records from which the transportation database was compiled such as the transportation registers, convict reference files and petitions to government for pardon or commutation of sentence, are incomplete.

So unfortunately you are most probably out of luck in that regard.

In Ireland, at that early date, you will need to look at church records for a marriage, but without knowing where they married it would be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.  YOu could try a post on the Ireland board, giving as much information as possible in your request for help searching for the marriage.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 18 July 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Prue
Thank you for your reply and for that information
I have 4 tickets of leave and his pardon papers but they have very little information on them. it's unfortunate that the shipping records don't have more information about the convict :'(
                                                Chatso58

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 July 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Chatso,

I had previously looked at newspapers for John, but found nothing.  A new batch have come online, and we have struck gold!!  Merlin must be psychic!  I will post the article here for the benefit of everyone who has been working on this.

http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

ASSIZES INTELLIGENCE .
Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Friday, March 8, 1833; Issue N/A

Limerick Assizes

John Donnellan was tried for felonious violation of the person of Catharine M'Namara, at Killeely.  The prisoner was a tall, strong, course looking man; and the prosecutrix a slight girl of nineteen years, respectably dressed, of fair and agreeable features.  She described the outrage committed on her person with apparent reluctance, great modesty, and frequently interrupted the painful narrative with audible symptoms of real and grievous affection.  The prisoner is a farmer in the North Liberties, and pretended courtship to his victim, whom he induced to accompany him in a walk on Sunday evening, towards Killeely, where he perpetrated the offence under circumstances which raised the sympathy of a crowded court.  She delivered her evidence of the whole transaction in a manner which raised her character in the estimation of all present; and her tale was perfectly unimpeded on the cross examination.  The prisoner received a good character on the defence, and the jury were in private consultation for above an hour, when the friends of the accused began to tremble for his fate.  A Roman Catholic clergyman was procured, and the prosecutrix consenting to the arrangement, both parties were married in the grand jury room; shortly after which the jury returned with a verdict of guilty against the prisoner for a capital crime.

John Donnellan was then asked by the clerk of the crown why sentence of death and execution should not be had against him.

Prisoner- I am married, my Lord.

Judge Jebb- The court will take no notice of it, and it is my duty now to pronounce the sentence of the law upon you.  The jury have found you, John Donellan, guilty of the grossest outrage that can be committed on a female, and your crime is aggravated when we consider the helpless condition of your innocent victim, and as it appears a modest and devout young woman.  She is indeed much to be pitied; obliged to leave the protection of her father's house in consequence of her forlorn situation and broken character, of which you have been the cause.  You, a strong powered man, after courtship to her, took advantage of the poor creature's weakness, a slight delicate girl, by terribly violating her person in a moment when she confided in your protection as a friend.  You, John Donellan, did not attempt to make any atonement whatever for this outrage until the last hour, when you found your life was in jeopardy.  The sentence of the court is that you, John Donellan, be hanged by the neck until you are dead, on the 20th of April.

The prisoner left the bar little affected at the judgement of the Court.

Well!!  :o :o :o  I'm speechless. 

I can't see a follow up, but obviously the sentence was commuted to transportation for life.
McNAMARA   ???  Looks like we have to start the search for Catherine all over again.  ::)

Debra

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 18 July 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Oh, wow  :o :o :o

What a fantastic write-up!  And how  bizarre that the marriage took place within the courtroom...and she then (apparently) followed him all the way to Oz?  Amazing!

Well found, Debra  :D

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 19 July 10 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi All
A BIG THANK YOU to all that have worked on my research. I would never have found out so much about John and Catherine with out all your help. and words can't  tell you of the joy and excitement of knowing what really happen I always thought the crime was against Catherine. and she must had loved him to have followed him to Australia they made a good life for them selves together they had 4 daughters and John and Catherine and where will respected in there community. this is what genealogy is all about thank's again ;D
               it is very much appreciated Robyn

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 26 July 10 11:29 BST (UK) »
       Hi All
you have all been so helpful in the past I thought I would give this a go I was wondering if some kind person would look this up for me in the shipping records I have found a Catherine Donlin arriving at Port Phillip in 1840 reel 2143a  [4/4813 ] page 31 I have seen Donnellan spelt wrong so many times your help would be appreciated Chatso58

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 July 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Catherine Donlin/Donlan arrived aboard the ship China 2 May 1840 at Port Phillip from London via Plymouth 27 Nov 1839
Calling: Housemaid
Native Place: Tipperary
Religion: RC
Can Read

Her name has been transcribed with both those spellings listed above from the passenger list.