Author Topic: convicts families arrivals in Australia  (Read 15992 times)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: convicts families arrivals in Australia
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 February 10 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Have just checked the book referred to in Reply#3 - Convict Applications to bring out families and no sign of any Donnellan; nearest surname being Donelly, and nothing that remotely resembles this couple.

Could this be their first child? (NSW BMDs)

V18441460 62/1844  Mary DONELAN, parents John, Catherine  (no district shown on index)

Judith 
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 February 10 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there pruem
Thank you for explaining that about Patrick and John I am so into this research that I would hate to miss out on any thing

To Sue
I am the one that's not very good at explaining it appears that Catherine was very young when she married John by my records. it states that Catherine was  16 it also states  (not known ) when she married on her death certificate but she was 13 years his junior so that how I worked it out.
 also on her death certificate it says she was in the colony for about 60 years in 1903 her father's name was Terence don't know her mother name and I don't know John parents names I hope this helps.
                    Thank you for help Robyn   

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 February 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again to all
does anyone have access to the shipping records for Blenheim 1834 when Patrick came out I don't have anything on that
I know what his conviction was but would appreciate any other information like his parents etc. thank's again
                                  Robyn 

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 February 10 12:42 GMT (UK) »
The Blenheim arrived at Port Jackson Australia on 14 November 1834 after departing from Cork Ireland on 27th July 1834.
Captain was James Brown.
Surgeon superintendent was James Wilson RN.
There were 200 male prisoners.
The Guard consisted of 33 rank and file of the 50th Regiment of Foot.
There were also 8 women and 9 children on board under orders of Capt. Fothergill and Lieut. O'Halloran.

John Donnellan age 29 years was tried in Limerick 1833 for the Crime of Rape & was sentenced to Life.
He was a married man & his trade was a farm servant.
Transported age 30 yrs on the 'Blenheim' 27 Jul 1834 from Cork to Port Jackson arriving 14 Nov 1834.
He was assigned to Mr W Danga at Invermein in 1837.
Granted his TOL on 10 Jan 1843 at Scone.
Granted a CP in 1846 #987.

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 February 10 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Merlin
Thank you for that information. it's seems that he got married around the same time as his conviction at 29 . He had been a busy boy it would be interesting to see the trial papers I wonder if there would be any news paper articles available Robyn

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 February 10 04:29 GMT (UK) »
It's very possible that the young lady he married was the one he was convicted for the crime against.

Family didn't agree to their 'being together' & of course he was punished within the law.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 February 10 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Especially Prue and Sue,

Re LIFERS and pardons ....  I have been trying to find my hardcopy reference text, perhaps I've lent the book .... But I feel that at some stage during the late 1840's or perhaps twas 1850's or 60's, those Lifers still alive in NSW were given Absolute Pardons via special legislation in NSW Legislative Assembly.   I think W C Wentworth sponsored the Bill in the NSW Parliament.  However, it is several years since the last time I re-read the particular book I have mentioned above.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline IrishOrigins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 February 10 07:56 GMT (UK) »
I have just lost my original message – must have accidentally hit some hot keys or something – so I hope the original doesn’t appear out of the ether and surprise me to death! :-[
I hope I’m not too late with this information, but I just stumbled over the query and thought I could at least tell you of my own experience.
When I was looking for information about one of my convicts I was told about the “Irish Gift” which was presented to Australia by Ireland at the time of our bicentennial (I think).  Part of the “Gift” is the Ireland-Australia Transportation Database and that’s where I started.
One entry gave me the information about the man himself, but a further entry showed his wife being given free passage to Australia at the end of his sentence period of 7 years.  The document referred to on this entry provided me with information of his wife’s maiden name and approximate age, the approximate ages and names of three children, plus the information that one child had died.
Next came a record of the ship she was “allocated” to, the date of departure, and the document reference was a list of passengers and showed that his second daughter had accompanied his wife on the voyage.
Yet another record showed that their son was also given free passage, almost exactly one year later.
From the Log of Logs and the Colonial Secretary’s correspondence I was able to find out a lot of details of the voyages and the safe arrival in NSW.
The prisoner indents on microfiche provided me with a description of my man, his birth place, age and occupation and date of trial.
His certificate of freedom was also listed on the original database.  From the reference numbers provided I was able to purchase a copy, and that gave me the crime he’d committed.
It wasn’t as easy as it sounds, the trudging through the records isn’t as straightforward as I would like, but the people at the National Library were wonderful and in some cases we went through the learning process together.
I’m still hoping to find more about this family, but need to gather a bit more strength before I tackle the maze again.
Of course this is all very well and good provided the convict is Irish – I have no idea about how to go about tracking someone from another country, but the Colonial Secretary’s correspondence would be my first port of call if he/she wasn’t Irish.
I do hope you have heaps of success in this.
Philippa
Byrnes, Wexford.
O'Brien, Hannigan, Waterford & Tipperary

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 February 10 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi to All
A big thank you to every one for working so hard on my family research I am trying to place an order now to comfirm John's connection to Catherine  all I can find online to order is his certificate of convict pardon
Can any one tell me if I can order the shipping records were John arrived on the vessel Blenheim or do I have to go to the state records office and view them myself or is there a transcription agents that can do it for me        Chatso58