Author Topic: DICKERSON Gamlingay  (Read 1681 times)

Offline esellek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DICKERSON Gamlingay
« on: Wednesday 10 February 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I have the first Dickerson in the family coming in in 1862 when Esther Dickerson married Edmund CLARK.  I have gone back a bit through the various sources and am now stuck having found lots of Dickersons in Gamlingay (especially through this board!).

I'm at a point where I am not knowing who is belonging to who!!

Going back from Esther.

Ester b Aug 1843 Gamlingay
d/o William and Eleanor/Ellen Ablett

William b1821 s/o Thomas & Hannah

Thomas b 1793 m Hannah??

Now I am lost, I think, with Thomas being the son of Daniel and Ann Ell?

Any light shed on this family will be great as it seems quite a large one.  I have picked up most of the line back through censu although quite a few I have 'lost' through too many having the same name and the dates being out by perhaps a couple of years and no other data that I can tie them in to a family.

Esther by the way, is my husbands GG Grandmother.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on where this line goes back to will be appreciated as I have a headache!

Sarah

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DICKERSON Gamlingay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Welcome to Rootschat!

These Dickersons from Gamlingay seem to put in an appearance every year or so!

I see on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,163809.0.html that I suggested that William Dickerson and Ellen Ablett's marriage cert would show father's names, and demonstrate that his father was Thomas. Do you have this cert?

I wouldn't disagree with what you have so far. The IGI has a baptism of Daniel Dickerson in Gamlingay in 1757, with a 1783 marriage in Lt Gransden to Ann Ell.

What's holding you up? Have you checked the Cambs FHS site at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html for baptism and burial indexes 1801-37? There's the burial of a Daniel Dickerson age 75 in Gamlingay in 1832, which unusually is spot on for a 1757 birth

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline esellek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I've been busy trawling through since I posted.

I've not got the cert for William and Ellen Ablett - I picked this up on the IGI
I've worked through the census for them both 1841- 1871 (William) - 1881 (Ellen)

Picking up Thomas and Hannah from the 1841 and linking in the other children - hoping I've not gone awry!

I've "lost" Thomas and Hannah after the 1841 census - finding an 1843 death for a Thomas that 'fits' on the basis that he has died before the 1851.  But not having found Hannah yet I can't say whether she was a widow in the 1851.

Thomas marriage to Hannah - found on the IGI a marriage 26 Oct 1815 in Potton - Hannah Shearman to Thos Dickson - which will fit in the ages of the children I have.

From Daniel and Ann Ell, I have a James b1795 (? death aged 80 in 1876).  I am wondering if this is the James that keeps cropping up that has married Mary ? - 1851 census aged 54 in Gamlingay giving a birth year of 1797)

From Daniel and Ann I have gone back via the IGI to John and Rebeckah Mead.
To be double checked from there:
William (1708) and Martha ?
and then John (1680) and Ellen ? (c1680)

I've had a good trawl of the chfs too and picked up a few :).  The main bit bugging me is going through the census and not being sure if the whole of the Gamlingay lot are one family, there are just so many of them and some of them being loose threads as I can't tie them in with any of the others!!

I guess this is what makes this so much fun!!!

Offline esellek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I think I have knocked this one on the head - and given myself a headache!

Although Levi Dickerson (m Jane Wagstaff) has gotten lost in the 1861 census!

Just searching for them having got them for the rest of the census when they were alive!