Author Topic: ROBIN Family of Glasgow, Scotland  (Read 12397 times)

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shall have to go back through the looking-glass
    • View Profile
Re: ROBIN Family of Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 04:38 GMT (UK) »
OH! I should have checked my post. Correction: My great-grandmother Jane Neilson was born in the year 1851. Her mother Catherine Twaddle Neilson died in the year 1854. ~k I wrote a long explanation and it did not post. ~k Well sorry I'm not rewriting it. Anyway I'm not sure who the Catherine Twaddle Neilson you found. I have what I wrote but  copied but can't seem to transfer to this page from my MacBook laptop. 
Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
       Buchanan Gilkerson [of Kentucky],
               Meikljohn, Eltze.
Walter Robin 1719-1784 & Isabel Gardner 1724-1769

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline SamuelMary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Do you know whereabouts she died as I haven't managed to find a death certificate listed? The Catherine Neilson I found in 1881 census was living in South Row at Summerlee she was 60/61 at the time which makes the age correct and the row was owned by Walter Neilson.

Offline SamuelMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I also do not understand why John Neilson would have left money to Catherine in his will if she was dead before him.

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shall have to go back through the looking-glass
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have so many documents and so many files. I also have a will that mentions my great-grandmother Jane Neilson she was taken care of with her uncles as executors. If I can find it I try and put a clip from the hand written copies that I received via Scotlands People dot gov.
I found the link for the video clip on the memorial. Always had trouble with transferring stuff on this web site. https://glasgowancestry.blogspot.com/2009/02/neilson-family-ancestry-gorbals.html
Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
       Buchanan Gilkerson [of Kentucky],
               Meikljohn, Eltze.
Walter Robin 1719-1784 & Isabel Gardner 1724-1769

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline SamuelMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes a visited the plaque when I was last in Glasgow (2017) its in what is known as the rose garden in Govan. Just behind the Police station. It looks like the graves were transferred and the headstones placed around the garden wall. It's in a bit of a sorry state, the garden that is, in fact, most cemeteries are. I found used syringe needles and beer cans in the bushes. Glasgow is somewhat poor since the ship and steel making is gone. I think the population has declined from 1.2M to about 600k now.

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 April 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Is Catherine NEILSON recorded as living on the 1972 marriage cert of Sam MARTIN and Margaret nee NEILSON ?

And in the will of John NEILSON (1780-1955), it stated,that if she remarried her money (stipe) would be severely reduced. 

Offline SamuelMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 April 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
No Samuel Martin and Margaret Neilson marriage certificate only the fathers are listed. I have since found a funeral listing for Catherine in October 1854 who died of a stroke the internment details include a reference to her maiden name as well. Considering the children went to the boarding school in Ayr at a very early age it sounds a possibility. The lair is in Gorbals, it may be what is now called the Rose Garden as was John  but I haven't confirmed that

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 April 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Money left in a will to a dead person, might be he never knew she was dead or never got round to changing the will?

Skoosh.