Author Topic: "Probate Packets"?  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
"Probate Packets"?
« on: Friday 12 February 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Totally unsure of how things work in England; - out here, we can look up, and get copies of "Probate Packets" from the State Archives ... the Probate Packet reportedly contains a copy of the Will, and details of how the estate was handled (who got what, and when).

Does something similar exist in England?  And if so, how would I go about getting a copy - given that TNA's website is sheer gobbledygook to me, and I can never find anything?  :-[
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Probate Packets"?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
So basically, you're looking for a will?

Can you give the date and the place, since that will determine what advice to give you.

Otherwise, have looked in the Lexicon under Wills?

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

TNA-challenged Deb, here; - no, I actually have a copy of the Will ... it's the other information I'd like to find.  I have no idea what happened to the estate, and there's a family tradition that one of three siblings didn't get his share because he'd emigrated and couldn't return to claim in ... and ... that his share was placed "in Chancery".

The death was in Poplar, on the 3rd December 1895 ... Probate was granted on the 14th February 1896 (goodness, that was quick!).

Okay, showing my ignorance here; - what is the Lexicon?

Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 10 13:35 GMT (UK) »
To answer the last question first: the Lexicon can be accessed via the button marked "Library" at the top of the page or via this link:

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/

I don't think there is such a public record in England and Wales.  If there was no involvement with a solicitor, then there may be no other records to show whether the estate was distributed as set out in the will.

Have you checked out the London Gazette?

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk

Notices searching for missing people and relating to probate matters were often inserted in there.

These things can go on for a long time: a death which occurred in 1785 was still affecting the lives of the legatees - there were lots of them - in 1850.  One of them even seems to have returned to England from Western Australia to make sure they got the money.  Heaven knows how much had already been taken up in solicitors' fees trying to trace all known descendants.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 10 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Nell

Have found the Solicitors' notice about the estate in the London Gazette; don't know how I missed that, before.  The Solicitors were Baker & Nairn, of 3 Crosby-square, London.

Will have to see what I can find in the Lexicon.

Meanwhile, I've just pulled out my copy of the Will and noticed that there's an addendum to the Probate bit; -

"Power reserved of making the like Grant to Christopher Robert Tatham, the son, the other Executor named in the said Will"

The previous paragraph refers to his sisters being Granted power to administer the estate.

Nothing's actually mentioned about the Chancery story   ::)

Cheers
Deb

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
If the estate was bug enough then it would have had death duty charged on it - so you might find who got what via the death duty registers at TNA. However - Many of the registers for the 1890s were destroyed by fire.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.a However sp?sLeafletID=107
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk