Author Topic: Franz CARLSSON - Passenger list  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Franz CARLSSON - Passenger list
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
SHIPS IN PORT IN SUNDERLAND, CO. DURHAM 1881

Vessel - Express

Anders Gustav CARLSSON married, aged 41, birthplace Westland, Sweden. Captain of ship.

I guess you need to discover whether this is a common Swedish name.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline alli_burnie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Kris - thanks so much for your efforts.  It has helped - I've worked out I must of had the wrong Anders to start with - which is good for cleaning up my information!  And it seems he was a mariner - didn't know that!

I've also discovered another resource - the NLA newspapers database is brilliant and has already helped with other information.

Thanks for the help e.one.

Sorry Alli,

I have been trying this from every direction I can think of and I just can't find any sign of this family in England. Perhaps they were only in England for a short time and returned to Sweden.  :-\

At marriage he was listed in the newspaper article as  "of Sweden" which really does not sound like someone who had lived in England since he was a child.

I found another possibility in a sailor 2nd mate aboard the EIDERN aged 24 in 1880. You may find others

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers Kris  :)

K
Scotland to Illabo - Hamilton,
Scotland to Melbourne - Pullar,
London to Melbourne - Allison,
Cornwall to Maldon - Wearne,
Yorkshire? to Melbourne - Joseph Ralph Smith and Jessie Gibson,
England - Clissold, Brighton,
Boxsell, Bond

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes unfortunately it really seems to be common Janice and a lot of them seem to be sailors too.

Just googling Anders Gustav/Gustaf CARLSSON brings up so many pages of hits. (without even looking for variants)  ::)

I just can't put anything together that looks like Frans and his family in England and that "of Sweden" in the marriage clipping just makes me more suspicious that they had not been living in England.

Cheers Kris  :)

Yes the newspapers are brilliant Alli - you will have a ball hunting.  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I had the thought that perhaps ...  sailed from Sweden and transited to a different vessel at English Port...    I can find info on NSW 1903 roll, perhaps there's Anders C with Frank... fingers crossed they were still at Macquarie St Mortdale etc.

Back shortly,

Edit to add ... Err, of course, his naturalisation papers must have been prepared after (or because of) enrolment requirements, but ... here's Elizabeth Mary Carlsson Macquarie-place, Mortdale, domestic duties...  (NSW Electoral Roll 1903, Division of Lang, Polling place Oatley ...  ... not sighted any others with that surname.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline clare16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
 I am keen to chat with you regarding Franz Carlsson's wife Elizabeth Mary. Pls contact me
Cassandra

Offline VanessaAustralia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare 16, I just saw this old post! Franz Carlsson and Elizabeth Davis were my great grandparents. What do you need to know about Eliizabeth? I'm happy to help.
Cheers,
Vanessa

Offline VanessaAustralia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allie_burnie,
I just saw this old post regarding my greatgrandparents Franz Carlsson and Elizabetth M Davis. Franz was definitely born in Sweden since a member of the family has obtained his birth certificate. It is in Swedish of course and we are waiting to have the document translated.
I also found Franz's naturlisation papers which listed the Frederick Bassil as his arrival ship in Australia, but I also could find no record of him on any of these voyages, although the June records appear to be missing. Franz was coming and going between NSW and the colonies as well as overseas prior to 1882 though. We have some references provided to him by previous employers (ie ships captains) prior to this. He obtained his bride to be's weddding ring in Adelaide on one of those trips. Have you had any further luck with your research? Cheers, Vanessa

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa and welcome to RootsChat.

If you have the document and are still waiting for a translation I can do that if you want.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 October 19 00:10 GMT (UK) »
SHIPS IN PORT IN SUNDERLAND, CO. DURHAM 1881

Vessel - Express

Anders Gustav CARLSSON married, aged 41, birthplace Westland, Sweden. Captain of ship.

I guess you need to discover whether this is a common Swedish name.

Jamjar

Here is a record of the same A.G. Carlsson as captain of the Express from the Swedish seamen database: