Author Topic: Infected file on GenesReunited  (Read 21699 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: Infected file on GenesReunited
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 10 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I've sent GR an e-mail of complaint but am very worried to go on that site again.

I only have my Family Tree on GR nowhere else. Should I up-load it entirely, say to Family Tree Maker or something similar? Maybe not now, wait until they get the site "cleansed". ???

We've scanned both the laptop and the PC and they appear to be ok.
J
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline alyson123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I too have sent an e-mail to Genes and thanked them for the
useless 'matches' and the bonus virus.
I would stay well clear of the site ankerdine until they have sorted it out, better safe than sorry.
Alyson
Lea/Lee ........Gnosall, Armitage Hednesford Kings Bromley,  Hednesford, Staffordshire.
Richardson..... Hanbury, Hednesford, Checkley Marchington .....Staffordshire
Corbett ....... Dawley, Wellington, Madeley......Shropshire, Willenhall & Hednesford,Staffs
Pyle/Pile ........Hensingham, Workington, Whitehaven, Cumberland
Pyle/Pile....... Newcastlle on Tyne, County Durham & Northumberland
Doran ...... Whitehaven, Cumberland and Ireland
Savage ........ County Down, Killough and Belfast, Irela

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 10 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I will renew nmy sub when it falls due.  I don't keep a tree on there and because I let it lapse for a while I now pay double what I did in the first place.

I have had one very good result from GR but that was for somebody else I was helping, usually the people I have contacted re my own lines have not replied.

I picked up a trojan from an earlier problem with GR adverts so to me its just not worth the bother.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 February 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I too opened an e-mail from genes and this totally disabled my mcafee security.
Disguises itself as windows secuity then advises that you have a virus and someone
is taking all personal details from your computer. Whatever you do....DO NOT follow
their links to remedy the situation.
I have just spent 2hrs trying to sort this out and have had to complete a full system restore
and reactivate all security settings with my antivirus........NIGHTMARE!!!

This sounds similar to something that happened to me about 18 months ago but I didn't get it from GR - it was called XP Antivirus 2008 and it disguised itself as Windows security and said that I had all these viruses but it was the XP Antivirus that was the virus and it was really difficult to get rid of. It seemed to know what I was doing and kept blocking me and in the meantime the computer was getting slower and slower.  In fact I wasn't technical enough to do it and had to get a friend to sort it out.

Be really careful.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Luzzu 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I also had a problem when I went open my Tree yesterday, AVG warned me and blocked the virus from doing any harm to my PC.

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I received an email yesterday telling me that my GR subscription will shortly be due. 

I have replied that since I now pay double what I used to (I let it lapse at one point);  I get very little benefit from the site (people often don't reply) and they have security problems yet again - I doubt that I shall renew.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 February 10 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I have just tried to contact the Help section on GR and received another warning of Infected File :-X

Exploit Rogue Scanner (type 1027)

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Relief to know that it was not only my system that had this problem - I opened my GR hotmatches this morning and my windows Security System was suddenly telling me about all these Trojans/ email worms etc and wanted me to download this program.  I tried getting onto here to find out what to do as I'm not very technical minded but my laptop wouldn't let me do anything.  I paniced like mad but luckily did not follow its instructions and finally managed to get McAfee to run a full scan which did not detect anything.  Can I assume that everything is okay and I do not have any nasty things lurking anywhere?

Only last week GR sent me their email reminder about renewing my subscription - am now thinking twice about this.  I have had some good contacts from the site but certainly do not want any more hassle like this again.  I was going to send them a complaint email but have had second thoughts, however, I need to get onto their site to remove my renewal details - though think I'd better wait and see if they sort this out first.

Crystal

Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean Crystal.  I keep my tree on Genes, as I find  it the easiest way to update it.  Then, I download the gedcom to my computer and open it in Family Tree Maker.  I want to update it, but daren't go there at the moment.   :'(

Sue
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk