Author Topic: Robert Dunlop Howard  (Read 29093 times)

Offline ejam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dunlop Howard
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 10 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary and Shane,

yes I have a certificate for Emily (attached) but not sure if it is correct, as the address is not one I know. Also shows her as a widowand her age would have been 56 in 1909.
The family was indeed at Hibernian Buildings, earlier they had been at 23 Summerhill South. It is possible that RD had invested in property as there seem to be a number of addresses coming up: 21 Frankfurt Terrace and another, which has disappeared from my files, from where he was advertising lessons.
I have the Guy's links thanks to a day's subscription to the newspaper site, and the 1901 census, gained from my contact in Dublin, shows the whole family together. Obviously something had happened prior to 1913 for him to have disappeared from the music college's listings.
Just looked up the 1911 English census....only two Roberts and neither correct, and no Emily.
Robert and Emily had five daughters and three sons. William Robert died in 1910 aged 29. They were all musical, the daughters playing the hotels in their own band,, one playing piano in the picture houses, teaching piano and generally having a good time! Robert Christopher went to London as a piano tuner and Edward Dunlop was my grandfather, who could play piano really well but only using the black keys(?)
The family was protestant and Robert and Emily were married in Cork registry office. Later they used St. Nicholas for christenings.
Many thanks for your searchings, you seem to be very well connected!
Regards, alan.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 10 10:34 GMT (UK) »
your're not allowed post full certs here on rootschat..

crop the image to show just the section(s) of interest

p.s. Emily states she's a widow..  so Robert died pre-1909 ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ejam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 10 10:49 GMT (UK) »
sorry about the certificate, would crop or remove but cannot find how to do that.
Yes, it says widow and that's why I thought it was wrong, having an entry as father in daughter Sarah's marriage certificate in 1815. That marriage was in a catholic church in Newcastle on Tyne and he did not sign as witness so probably did not attend.
How do I remov/crop the image?
Alan.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
to remove the image click the modify button on the top right of your post ..the look for the attachments section towards the bottom. I can post a cropped version showing the address etc if you wish

Unfortunately Emily died in the infirmary, so the informant is an employee of the infirmary rather than a family member, so difficult to be 100% certain that it's the correct person. I would not worry about the age being a year out - I've seen deaths cert much further off than that..

correction - I thought the age read 57 ... looks more like 51 now

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

There is a Daniel Joseph Hegarty, 60 yrs and family living Summerhill in 1911- he is a banker.  Ignore- I thought it said J -it says F for Daniel's name  ::)
The death certificate says he is the occupier (of that address which I can't read beyond 2 Turret site? ) and seems to indicate that Emily was a housekeeper.
Does the age of this Emily fit with the age in 1901?
Where are the other daughters in 1911? Could Robert or Emily be with them- if this is perhaps not that Emily?
Lastly, could a funeral be traced for this Emily and would the church record give any other information? (or gravestone?)

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 February 10 11:11 GMT (UK) »
based on the unusual 'g' in Hegarty I wonder if the 2nd part of the address might be Mulgrave Road

the middle initial for Daniel looks like an F to me - cf the F for female

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 February 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I agree re the name - I just got carried away with Summerhill  ::)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 February 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I can only find a Mulgrave Place in 1911 - I wonder if the 'Turret' should read 'Terrace'.

Signor Grossi is a professor of Music in 1911 census.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 February 10 11:24 GMT (UK) »
That's a great help and Shane is coming up trumps as usual.

I wont't be able to do much until Wednesday but I will go to the County Library then and maybe the City Library to see if they have anything on the Howards the musical family.

Will be on again then.

Mary
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,