Author Topic: Jane DAVIES ,George DAVIES  (Read 4949 times)

Offline wasbeer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane DAVIES ,George DAVIES
« on: Saturday 13 February 10 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, I wonder if anyone can help me out with this.  Jane was born in Gladestry in 1841. Her mother is Margaret but Im not sure of the father, is it Davis or Evans?
 ???In 1871 she was looking after her nephew George Davies aged 3 born PENYBONT. I believe he was later given up for adoption.I still dont know how he connects to Jane. Any ideas

All tips and info is welcome!

Thankyou

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane DAVIES ,George DAVIES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

I cannot find the 1871 entry you mention - can you give more details please.  Was she in Radnorshire at that time and was she married or single. 

???In 1871 she was looking after her nephew George Davies aged 3 born PENYBONT
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wasbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,  :-\sorry forgot to mention she married John Preece at that time and had a whole collection of kids, including George, Henry my grandfather and a lodger aged thee months....Still a bit green about root chat!

marriage was 3Q 1860 Henry was born 1Q 1861 in Gladestry

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Thanks

Sally

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

And they were not in Wales which is another reason I could not find them

George's relationship on the 1871 is to the head of the household (ie) John Preece

However - because they were married - Jane's nephew become's John's nephew

The only way you are going to establish George's parentage is by finding his birth reg on freebmd and buying a copy of his birth cert.  However - with more than one possible entry - you would struggle to find the correct one with so little info

I cannot find which registration district would have covered Pen y Bont as there is nothing listed for that location.  The nearest from a "sounds like" point is Penbuallt which came under Builth but was actually in Brecon

George was 3 in 1871 so could have been born between April 1867 - April 1868

There are only 2 entries on freebmd for that period - both in the June qtr 1867 but both with middle names

One thing to bear in mind is that failure to register a birth only became a "fineable" offence in 1875 so lots of births were unregistered prior to then

Re: her fathers name - a copy of her marriage cert will give you that info as the 1851 has no Jane Davies b Gladestry although there is an 1851 entry parents Evan & Margaret but she was b Old Radnor.  1851 has 3 Jane Davies entries around that birthyear so the marriage cert is the best way forward
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wasbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, have just been trying yet another search. PENYBONT was at first  RADNORSHIRE and from about 1877 POWYS. Why an earth did they have to rearrange the geography! This is causing me so many probleems!

Interesting idee that the birth could be unregisteerd. That maybe it, he was illegit. and that may of been why he was put up for adoption too....mmmm

I'm ordering the marriage cert. as this is the only way to go further at this time.

I live abroad so it'll take time. I'll let you know if there are any developements!

Thanks for you kind help

Sally