Author Topic: railroads  (Read 3432 times)

Offline dulwichtess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
railroads
« on: Saturday 13 February 10 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I would love some tips on searching for people who worked on the railroads accross the USA, any help would be great.  Is there any sites I can do searches on?

Thanks
 :)

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: railroads
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  that is pretty broad request --   and what time frame would have a bearing.   

People might have worked their way across the US on the railroads and may have worked for short time frames for a per diem  and possibly, no records would have been kept. 

If you are looking for RR workers after 1935,  this might help.

http://www.rrb.gov/

A.......y also has RR Retirement Board records available.

If you google search " Immigrant Railroad Workers" much will come up relative to the Irish, the Chinese, the Mexican  even Sihk workers.

lissaM

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:31 GMT (UK) »
There are so many railroads to search. However, some of the historical societies dedicated to a specific railroad may have some documentation.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dulwichtess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: railroads-updated
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 10 08:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks guys. I have so little to go on, its hard to know where to start.
Martin madden was born 1860 inishturk island , clifden, co.galway, Ireland and said to have died 1918.  He worked on the railroads.  Married a lady last name coyne and were said to have a very large family, so maybe settled on a farm.  I think martin was last known to be in ohio.
 ???

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any likely matches, but there are Ohio death records from 1908-1953 here:  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start  There are also some census records/transcriptions on that site, so you might find some possible matches in there.

Also, depending on when he immigrated, a passenger list might say where he was going.  When was he last seen in Ireland?

Offline dulwichtess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 February 10 13:33 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that. I am sorry I don't know when he was last seen in ireland. The only other info I have is that his parents were called Luke Madden and Jane Burke

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 February 10 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you done any research and eliminated any findings yet or just starting out ??  IMO,  the RR connection is a sidebar after you narrow down some possibilities.   There probably aren't going to be any RR works lists unless you get very lucky on exactly which RR and exactly when. Transient laborers might not appear in the census. 

He also could have had any number of jobs with a RR that would have kept him stationary rather than a RR builder and then could be anywhere in a very large country.

On the familysearch pilot site,  1900 census -  has the most details  --  and you think he might be alive then. 

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1205089539171#p=home

See if you find anything likely.  No 1890 census (destroyed in a fire) to back in to if you find something.  Would be 1880 and 1910 to track forward or in reverse. 

Maybe you know all that and just haven't said so apologies if this sounds patronizing.
 :)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 February 10 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Did Martin have a brother named Michael?  There is an entry on a Galway to Boston passenger list from 1898 with a Michael Madden listed, but crossed out, so he didn't sail on that ship.  It says Michael Madden was age 50, born Inishturk, Clifden, and going to join brother Martin Madden at Mount (something?) Philadelphia.

If that's not the right family, then I think looking for as much info as possible on his life in Ireland before emigrating might help narrow things down.

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Could it be  Mt. Pleasant, shelly?  Very strange   ---  had just looked at below but Wife's name not right.

1900  Mt. Peasant Township  (part of Spring Garden & Bridgeport Townships) Spring Garden Villiage, Westmoreland Co.,  PA
Martin Madden Age 37  b. Sep 1862  in Ireland  Imm:  1881   Occ: Day Labor   Everyone else on the page works in Coal Mining
Wife Jenny Age 35  b.  June 1864 England Parents Irish  Married 15 years  11 children born/7 living  Imm: 1880
Children:  All b. in PA
John 13
Margaret A.  9
Martin 8
Joseph 6
dau Mary? E, 4
Patrick 3

Not seeing another good match in 1900 in Philadelphia. 
Alleghany Co. (Philadelphia) is adjacent to Westmorleand Co.