Author Topic: railroads  (Read 3431 times)

Offline dulwichtess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: railroads
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:20 GMT (UK) »
guys this lead sounds great.
Martin did have a brother Michael and was said to have gone to the us.
could you tell me the websites you have found them on please.
thank you so much
Teresa

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Lissa, Michael does seem to be crossed off of 3 passenger lists in 1898 and one of them looks more clearly like Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania.  How do you know it's not the right wife with Martin?

It looks like Michael finally did sail on the SS Peruvian from Galway 23 Apr. 1899 to Boston May 1899.  Michael is listed as age 50, married, laborer, under nationality - Irish is crossed out and US citizen is lightly written in, final destination - Mt. Pleasant, previously in US before - written in lightly is something like "12 yrs.  left US 9 yrs. ago", going to join brother Martin Maddin (something) Station Mt. Pleasant.

The Boston passenger lists are available online via subscription.  You can see some info on where to find them here.  http://www.germanroots.com/boston.html

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:59 GMT (UK) »
The 1910 Census seems to show the family in Mt. Pleasant.  The wife is listed as Jane, and she's the mother of 15 children, 11 of whom are living.  The address is 15 Silver Street, and Silver might be the word before Station on Michael's passenger list.

This Martin still seems to be around in the 1920 Census.

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 February 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
uh  --  I don't!   Had Jane"  in my mind  which is Martin's mother!   sorry!  :-[

but not TOO embarassed if this proves to be a solid lead  ;D

Offline dulwichtess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 February 10 18:03 GMT (UK) »
this is great. thanks guys.  does it by chance have a descripion of michael on the passenger list.  why do you think his name was crossed off 3 pssenger lists before he got around to leaving

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 February 10 18:26 GMT (UK) »
could  only speculate   ---  my 1st guess,   money ??  travel papers of some kind or some work or family commitment getting in the way of leaving ??   you see " Titanic"  ??  :)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 February 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
There's not any description of Michael on the passenger list, other than he was in good health and not "deformed or crippled".

It appears that Martin's wife Jane is a widow by the 1930 Census and living in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania with her 3 youngest daughters.  The 1930 Census says Jane, age 65, immigrated in 1880, was naturalized, and was first married at age 20.  She was born England and her parents were born Northern Ireland.

The 1910 Census says Martin & Jane both immigrated in 1880 and Martin is listed as naturalized.

I'm hoping I can find something about one of the children to confirm or deny this link.

Offline dulwichtess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 February 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much shellyesq I don't have access to this so really appreciate your help on this
 ;D

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 February 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
This person seems to mention Jane as having a different surname:  http://genforum.genealogy.com/madden/messages/2635.html  I wouldn't rule them out on that, though.  Perhaps you could e-mail this woman and see if she's made any progress.  There's also a little more info in this post she made:  http://genforum.genealogy.com/madden/messages/2629.html