Author Topic: Help decyphering ww1 Record Discharge  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help decyphering ww1 Record Discharge
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone shed any light on the reason why this soldier, my great uncle, was discharged from the British army?  I know he suffered from Shell Shock and he never recovered, although he died in his 60s.  Thanks, Michelle

Moderator comment: image removed.  Only small portions of such images may be posted to assist with deciphering handwriting.

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help decyphering ww1 Record Discharge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
And here is are war records belonging to his brother, Patrick Fahey, who returned from the war with a leg injury, I believe.  I am especially interested to know if they perhaps saw action together on the battlefield.

Moderator comment: image removed.  Only small portions of such images may be posted

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Gregory was discharged under the provisions of Army Order 265 para 2 - which usually relates to men who were discharged because of sickness or wounds making them unfit for further service. The reference to "List" under Action taken refers to the reference number for the Silver War Badge issued to men so discharged to prove that they had "done their bit." I am not sure what the "Deleted from List" note refers to.

The first Patrick, Lance corporal 5910, served in Theatre 2B - which was Gallipoli - he landed there on the 9th July 1915 - and he too was discharged and entitled to a SWB.

The second card for Patrick would seem to be a different man - different Regimental number 3205 instead of 5901 - and no entitlement to the 1915 Star which the first Patrick has. He also has a different rank - sergeant instead of Lance corporal. He also has a different SWB reference.

All three men served with the Leinster Regiment in the case of the first Patrick it would seem to be the 6th Battalion, the other two do not give the Battalion number. The first Patrick 5910 also seems to have transferred from the Leinsters to a different regiment - possibly the Royal Irish?

Might I suggest that you have a look at this site which is a good basic starting place to researching a WW1 soldier's career.

http://www.1914-1918.net/

Hope that helps,

jds1949 
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michelle,

The service record for Patrick, assuming he is the 44 Leinster Regiment and 5910 Royal Irish Regiment, has survived and can be accessed on Ancestry in the "Pensions" records. I haven't had a chance to look at it, but by the date of entry on his medal index card, he was one of the original contingent.

I cannot see a service record for Gregory but the SWB card shows that he was with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion on discharge. His enlistment date infers that he was a pre-war regular, but although he served overseas (and was awarded the British War and Victory Medals), he does not have the Star, so could not have gone overseas before the beginning of 1916, long after the 1st and 2nd Battalions did so. The actual medal rolls at Kew may shed more light on which battalion he served with.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Michelle,

If that is the right Patrick, he was a Leinster Regiment regular from 1892 to 1904, service number 3521. At the time of enlistment, he gave his next of kin as his older brother Thomas, also in the Leinster Regiment and his older sister Bridget of Limerick.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help.  I am gobsmacked at the speed of your responses.  I have been just staring at these records for months and scratching my head.   I will check out the sites recommended and pass on the information to my MANY relatives who are just dying to learn more about these men.
Thanks again, Michelle

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 10 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle

I think you need to tread carefully as far as Patrick is concerned, as it was a common name. You should start by confirming that this is the correct family - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002645332/

Regarding Gregory, a battalion must be missing from his card, as the 3rd Battalion did not go overseas according to this - http://www.1914-1918.net/leinster.htm - and you had to go overseas to be awarded WW1 medals.

There is a card for a Christopher as well in the Leinsters. He was a Regular after 1920 as he has a 7-digit number. As well as two medals for WW1 he earned an India General Service Medal in the 1920s. Did he emigrate to Canada, as there is an army address in Winnipeg? PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Ken

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 10 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Ken, that is my family census record.  My grandmother was the Bridget E referred to here and I have been in that house myself.  Gregory died here in Ireland,in Birr, Offaly, 1951, having never remarried and on his death cert his occupation is 'British Ex Soldier'. Cause of death is very difficult to read but contains the phrase 'Physical degeneration'... which could link back to his army days.  His brother Thomas registered the death.

Thomas didnt go to war but he had another brother who did, Christopher. He emigrated to Texas after the war with a Scottish girl.

Here is a record I think might be his... although I am at a bit of a loss about which Patrick Fahey to focus on and whether the Gregory you mention is my great uncle.

Thanks so much for all the help... sincerely.

Moderator comment: image removed.  Only small portions of such images may be posted to assist with deciphering handwriting.

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 February 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry... didnt realise I was out of bounds...
According to his record Christopher receieved two medals. If they were all in the same regiment, would they have been involved in the same action?  I will try upload a photo of Christopher in his uniform, if that is allowed by the moderator.... I think the badge on his cap shows that he is in the Leinster Regiment.
Thanks to all for your help
Michelle