Author Topic: Lost Robert Long b 1822 & Isabella Brown b 1828 of Armagh  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Search Girl

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost Robert Long b 1822 & Isabella Brown b 1828 of Armagh
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Family legend says that Robert Long & Isabella Brown eloped from Armagh to Canada because of religious differences. They are my great grandparents who finally settled in Ontario, Canada in Egremont Township, Grey County. They never told anyone the names of their parents, siblings etc.  Robert Long said his father had a dray business. We have found a passenger list from 1836 aboard the Ship, Courage, which landed at Philadelphia, with a Robert Long, who would have been 14 years old, travelling with a family of Brown's, James, Thomas and Isabella who would have been aged 8.  The elopement is doubtful.  I wonder if they were indentured servants in order to get passage to North America.  I don't know where to search indentures.  Robert & Isabella eventually married in 1848 in Norval, Ontario, a small village in Esquesing Township, Peel County, now in the Toronto area.  They pioneered 100 acres in Egremont Township where they died, he in 1898 and she in 1900.  My grandfather, David Long, was the informant for their death registrations and said their parents were unknown. One, or both, of their fathers may have been Thomas as when their first son,  named Thomas, died, they named another son Thomas.  I'm wondering if a Long or Brown family in Ireland is missing an ancestor who emigrated to North America as I have been unable to find any baptismal records through PRONI for either of them after 4 searches.  Robert's birthdate is Oct 10, 1822.  Isabella's birthdate is February 28, 1828, according to their tombstone.  I would really appreciate any help you can give me.
Long/Brown Armagh; Gordon/Mattey Ireland; O'Neill;