Author Topic: Rugby Chisolm RANSON/RANSOM/RANSOME* Completed*  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rugby Chisolm RANSON/RANSOM/RANSOME
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Saw you also thought they were from the Isle of Wight at one stage. 
I take it that was another false trail.   

I suppose the answer will only come when you find her being shipped out.   One of mine who came out from the Brighton Workhouse in 1837 was found in Parametta (if that is what it was called) women's prison.  If you are beginning to scrape the bottom of the barrel, perhaps you should start searching in places like that          Roy G

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

On the NSW 1841 Census, there's a householder return signed by a Thomas RANSON (could be Ransom) and the page following details the statistics for that household.

There's at least one female on that statistic return, both pages signed by the householder.

Would you like me to type up what I think the return states?  Of course you would  ;D

(Remember that in 1841, NSW covered a larger geographical area than now, eg it included Victoria and Qld)

Address: William Town, in the County of Bourke, (ie Port Phillip in Victoria)
Dwelling house, built of Wood, completed and three people reside there, all are "free" (note "free"  does not indicate that they "came free" or are former convicts, it just means they are NOT currently convicts)

At next page:

1 male, single aged under 2 years; 1 male, married aged 21/over to under 45; 1 female, married, aged 21/over to under 45

1 born in the colony, 1 arrived free, 1 other free person  (note it does not indicate whether the males or the female fit this category)

Religion ... all 3 are C of E

Occupation all 3 are "other occupations not included in (delete these) (replace with "the foregoing")  classes. (modified to correct typo and transcription error. 

Dated March 1841.

I will have good look at the list of occupations and post those details in the next post. 

Cheers, JM

;D  Female, with a child in Vic in 1841 ... perhaps NOT your lass, but those were harsh days ..

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Further to Moi reply (#10)

Occupations (as printed on 1841 NSW census form ....)

Land Proprietors, Merchants, Bankers and Professional Persons

Shopkeepers and other Retail Dealers

Mechanics and Artificers

Gardeners, Stockmen and Persons employed in Agriculture

Domestic Servants

All other persons not including in the foregoing classes (I will amend #10 post to add "foregoing")

Cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.