Author Topic: Lost HAYLON/ HALION/ HALIAN/ HEALION Sisters  (Read 9807 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost HAYLON/ HALION/ HALIAN/ HEALION Sisters
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I can only offer thoughts at this stage.

You do not have a birth record of any kind for BRIDGET (as you say)

A lot can hppen in 13 years. ..... The time between THOMAS snr's (convict)request and the arrival of his clan.
Darby is in the request, but does not arrive.  Perhaps he died or did not wish to come to Aust.
Thomas may have MARRIED and the BRIDGET who arrived may be his wife, as you cannot prove siblinghood, her name being not listed in THOMAS snr's request.
As his wife, she may have died prior to THOMAS jnr 's marriage in 1854 to ELIZA LONG.  (I do not see such a death, but, this does not rule out the possibility in those early days)

Thoughts only ;)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline History seeker

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you sue.
On the shipping records Thomas is listed under single Males, Mary and the 2 missing sisters Bridget and Honora are listed under single females all giving their parents as Thomas Helion convict living Goulburn and Mary Daly. Brother Patrick with wife Bridget and 5 children listed under families.
This is why I think she must be a sister.
Bridget and Honora just vanish I haven't found any trace of them have tried a number of different spellings with no results.
I am now wondering if they went to Vic as there was a Margaret Helin that came to Bungendore married moved to Vic with her husband he died she remarried in Vic. She is the same gen as Bridget and Honora came from the same area of West meath Ireland her parents were Patrick Helin and Catherine Fox I followed there line to try and find a connection but hit a brick wall all family names are the same. Wonder if Margarets father Patrick is the brother of Thomas Halion the convict?
Halion is not a popular name here or in west meath Ireland spelling varies but that happens with all names.                                                                                                                                                    Would just love to know what happened to them sick to death on family telling me I'll never know would like to prove them wrong .
 Never giving up ???
 Regards
HS ??? ;D

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 00:55 GMT (UK) »
On the shipping records Thomas is listed under single Males, Mary and the 2 missing sisters Bridget and Honora are listed under single females all giving their parents as Thomas Helion convict living Goulburn and Mary Daly. Brother Patrick with wife Bridget and 5 children listed under families.  HC

In the light of this extra information, there seems no doubt she was a sibling.

Perhaps you could ask on this board if a chatter could consult records for Victoria.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Shipping record - I know you probably have this but thought it worth transcribing. It would seem there were many passengers on this ship joining convict parents.  The only 'new' piece of info is a different spelling for Patrick's wife's parents.

Success arrived Sydney 17 Dec 1849

HALIAN Patrick, 36 Labourer, can read
Native Place: Kill West Meath,
Parents: Thomas and Mary, both died (this has been crossed out) and 'Father living in Sydney' written in. Father Thomas Halian per ship Cambridge, tried at Phillipstown, living
Bodily health, strength and possible usefulness: good

Wife: Bridget, 34, farm servant, native place Kill, West Meath, parents James and Bridget Caton? (both dead) RC, cannot read or write, no relations in colony.

Children : James 12, Bridget 11, Mary 6, Catherine 4, Thomas 1

HALION Honora 26, Mary 24, Bridget 25, all from Kill, none can read or write, all with parents Thomas and Mary - father living at Goulburn Plains, Thomas Halion per ship 'Cambridge', tried at Mullingar, Honora and Bridget listed as good health etc, Mary listed as 'clubfooted'

HALION Thomas, all details the same except can read,  also states under "Complaints" - 'sister with complaints that she did not get porper attention or the requisite allowance of medical comforts'  Doesn't say which sister!

Looking at Victorian BMDs 1836-1891 the only HELION I see is this marriage:
Marianne HELION = Joseph DE GILLE 1857 reg 4083
Tried Helian, Haylan, Haylen, Haylin, Halion, Helin, Healin

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline History seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you Judith.
I purchased the Marianne Helion marriage and it is for the daughter of Patrick Helion and Catherine Fox. I am in touch with a descendant of Patrick and Catherine we are looking for a connection between our two families. So i will pas the certificate on to my contact. Halion in any spelling is not a common name and both our families come from the same area of Westmeath Ireland. My convict Thomas Halion was in the Bungendore and Goulburn area and when Patrick Helion and Catherine Fox's 16 year old daughter came to Australia alone she went to Bungendore. Which has left me asking myself why? Was Thomas her uncle?

Thank you for all your time and effort.
HS :D

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Seems very likely they are related - you wouldn't think a girl on her own would just go to Bungendore on a whim.  Hope no Bungendorians are insulted!! LOL   ;)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline History seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith I'm glad someone else thinks so too.
I'm sure they won't be insulted.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 February 10 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking at a useful booklet found in the National Lib catalogue.  There is an absolute wealth of info here,especially lots of BYRONs.  I have only transcribed those who have been mentioned in the thread.

Bungendore Cemetery 7/6/1847-30/4/2000 / compiled by Barry Stephenson  ISBN 0646394967 
Some info that relates to your family (no sign of Bridget and Honora, but a new surname spelling - NALLION/NALLIAN)

BYRON, Mary (nee Nallion). Died 1904. Father's name HAYLEN.  Death registerd Bungendore 1904/865. Unmarked grave. Married John BYRON 1850
Mother of Patrick  1851-1876 Goulburn
Mary 1852-1/3/1931 buried Bungendore, m William LAWLESS Qbn 1874
John 1853-1923 buried Bungendore
Thomas 1856- m Mary Ann Lawless Qbn 1878
Anne 1858-
William 1860-1942 buried Bungendore
Richard 1862-00.081931 (sic) buried Bungendore
Catherine m William FLYNN Bungendore 1892

BYRON John D 25 July 1902 Reg Bungendore 1902/8713
Residence - Neil's Creek, spelt Neill's Creek in other obits and listed as 'between Hoskingtown and Bungendore'
Obit from Qbn Age but no further info therein.

HAYLAN Patrick and Bridget (nee Keating) mentioned but no new info.

Sue found a death of Mary J BYRON 1892, which looked possible, but the parents are listed here as Thomas and Mary A BYRON, son and daughter-in-law of Mary listed above.

NSW BMD definitely show the surname NALLIAN - perhaps worth getting that cert - just maybe Brdget or Honora may be witnesses??
V1850506 96/1850 John BYRON - Mary NALLIAN, Church Code LW  (Roman Catholic Cooma, Monaro, Manaroo District, Qeanbeyan, TwoFOLD Bay )

Judith

Offline History seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 February 10 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Judith.
I do have that certificate for Mary Nallian and John Byron they were married at Bungendore. It is clear as day Hallian on the certificate have no idea why it is listed as Nallian.5x its written on there and its in the clearest hand writing I have ever seen on an old certificate. Witnesses are John Dwyer and Mary's brother Patrick Hallian.
I even sat at the library one day for hours checking the nsw bdm's and then getting out the reels with the old parish records on them just in case they were listed under Killion, Hoyland, Keelan ect. It would of cost me as fortune if they didn't have the reels at our local library.
I thought by putting a post here maybe someone linked to them if they married might see it or that fresh eyes might see something I missed.

Thank you soooooo much Judith.