Author Topic: Guy's City and County Cork Almanac and Directory 1891  (Read 12441 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Guy's City and County Cork Almanac and Directory 1891
« on: Monday 15 February 10 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Available on Cork City Council Libraries website - http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/

Guy's City and County Cork Almanac and Directory for 1891 

Other directories are also available on the same website - including the 1907 and 1913 editions.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Re: Guy's City and County Cork Almanac and Directory 1891
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
That's good to know - more online resources!
A couple of queries regarding these "Guy's Directories" as I've been unable to find a definitive answer online:

1) Do the individual town versions (e.g. "Guy's Postal Directory For Mallow")  contain a subset of the information in the "Guy's City and County Cork Almanac and Directory", or are they distinct resources with additional information?

2) How often were they published - both the "City and County" and individual town versions?

3) If they were reasonably regular publications, then where can I look at the ones that aren't available online.

Pete

Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 15:35 GMT (UK) »
dont know any specific details on your questions but suspect the place to try first is Cork City Council Library. The other major libraries (e.g. the National Library in Dublin) would probably have copies of these also.

Some directories were published frequently - e.g. Thom's in Dublin (yearly), but I dont know if the same applied to Guy's. Slater's for example was only published about every 10 years.. 1846/56/70/81 & 94

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 11:33 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know Guy's was first published in 1875 and again in 1886 and from 1889 it was published annually until 1935. I don't know anything about the individual directories. They are available in both the City Library & county library in Cork and also in the National library although none holds a complete set. They are not comprehensive in the county area where only landowners and gentry are listed + post master, stationmaster & schoolteacher. If you ring the local studies department in either library they are quite helpful & will answer your questions
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 12:46 GMT (UK) »
A downloadable version of 1887 Guy's Directory here http://www.archive.org/details/francisguyscount00guycuoft
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork