Author Topic: Rathgar Road (then ) Co.Dublin  (Read 26288 times)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rathgar Road (then ) Co.Dublin
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 12 July 15 14:05 BST (UK) »

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 12 July 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
You might already have this.

Tara

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 12 July 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
1849 a family called Stephenson seems to have been living at Wallingford !

Tara

http://www.trulock.info/?id=539

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 12 July 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
Last Will and Testament of John Wynn McGaveston
Dated: 23 March 1846
In God’s name Amen
This is the last Will and Testament of one John McGaveston, Surgeon, late in the service of the
East India Company being at present of sound mind and residing on Rathgar Road, County Dublin.
I am the owner of property in India at present invested in Bengal Government Securities amounting
to between sixty and seventy thousand Rupees which is in the charge of the Government Agent at
Calcutta the above amount with all interest accruing thereon I will and bequeath to my two sons
John Cornwall Gaveston and Charles Wynn Gaveston share and share alike to be possessed by
them at whatever time their Mother may think proper not however exceeding their respective ages
of twenty one years and I appoint my Wife Margaret McGaveston sole trustee of the above funds.
I have also a registered claim on the effects of the late Messrs Alexander and Co. Calcutta
amounting to between seven and eight thousand Rupees and Messrs Cockerell and Co. of
Calcutta hold a power of Attorney from me to receive dividends from the same the whole remaining
claim I will and bequeath to my Wife Margaret and my children’s use.
I also bequeath to my Wife Margaret McGaveston all pay pension on Medical retiring annuity due
to me up to the day of my death also my interest in my present dwelling house also all the furniture
and other property belonging to me on the premises to be equally divided between my children at
her death or such other time as she may think fit.
Whatever claims I may have on any part of the property of her late Father Mr Theophilus Page I
will and bequeath to my Wife Margaret during her life to be equally divided between my children at
her death in the event of the death of either of any sons before attaining the age of twenty one
years the survivor to become sole heir.
I nominate and appoint my Wife Margaret McGaveston executrix and administratrix of this Will and
Testament.
I also will and bequeath to my Wife Margaret McGaveston two hundred pounds three and a quarter
percent stock lately purchased for her own and the children’s use as well all cash in hand or at my
Bankers at the time of my death.
I am a married subscriber to the Bengal Military Fund in the Rank of Major and my Widow will be
entitled to a full annuity from the same from the date of my death. I am also subscriber to the
Bengal Military Orphan Society and I hope all justice will be done to my children should it hereafter
appear that their case ought to be benefited by that institution.
Wallingford, Rathgar, County Dublin
This twenty third day of March 1846
John McGaveston Testator
Signed published and declared by the Testator John McGaveston as and for his last Will and
Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who in his presence and at his request
have subscribed our names as Witnessed:
Robert F Murphy Surgeon
Ellen Smythe
Last Will and Testament of John Wynn McGaveston
Codicil the first
I nominate and appoint my Brother Mr Nicholas McGaveston and his wife Mrs Catherine
McGaveston Joint Trustees with my wife Margaret McGaveston of the fund at present invested in
Bengal Government Securities for the benefit and use of my two sons John Cornwall and Charles
Wynn McGaveston.
John McGaveston Testator
The Testator has signed this Codicil in our presence and we have signed it as Witnesses in the
presence of each other this 30th day of March 1846.
Robert F Murphy
Ellen Smythe
The last Will and Testament and Codicil of John McGaveston of Wallingford, Rathgar in the County
of Dublin Surgeon late of the Honourable East India Company deceased (having granted so forth)
were proved in Common form of law and probate thereof granted by the most Rev. John George
and so forth unto Margaret McGaveston of same place widow deceased the sole Executrix of said
Will and Codicil she being first sworn personally saving and so forth dated the Eighteenth day of
June 1846.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 12 July 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Wallingford in 1847

Stephenson at the address again !

Tara

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 13 July 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara

Is it possible to get a larger and higher res image of the advertisement to let out Wallingford. I hadnt seen that before. What a great little piece of history. Also the Stephenson one.

In 1883 Nicholas McGaveston died at 5 Brighton Road, Rathgar, Dublin, Ireland. His Will says he was formerly of Wallingford, Rathgar but late of Brighton Road. Margaret Hilton his niece a spinster was the sole executrix.

Margaretta Theodosia Stephenson is my first cousin 5 times removed. The Trulock website has some very good info. Ive been in contact with the owner and together we have pieced together some of the family history but those family lines are incredibly difficult with missing pieces of the puzzle everywhere - thanks in part to the absence of records. I probably didnt click that those Stephensons were my Stephensons

Thanks Hallmark - I have the original or Johns will as well. fascinating reading for us and Im glad that its one of the few that survived.

Johns son John wrote to his family later in his life asking where his fathers inheritance went but no one was able to tell him. John Jrs mother was meant to get 300 pounds per year from the East India Company which Im assuming stopped when she remarried. It seems that investing in India was easy but getting your money back wasnt so that she effectively got very little out of the sale of the Indian lands and shares.

Thanks Dathai. Ill try emailing the post office first.

Its a huge shame that all the earlier families seems to know each other quite well despite not having modern technology but their ancestors are left to piece it all together because it wasnt recorded.
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 13 July 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I'm afraid that's the best images that I can get.

If you go to findmypast.ie (€10 one month sub) and go to their newspaper section ~ you will find them there ~ you may have better luck yourself.

The site also has newspaper mentions of the Charles Wynne chap that you mentioned ~ as they are your family you will have more time to devote to trawling through and seeing can you get any more info from them.

irishnewspaperarchives (€10 24 hour sub) has a more extensive range of old newspapers so you may have more luck there BUT you need to have a free 24 hours to devote to getting your value from this sub.

Best Of Luck

Tara

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 23 July 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Great Ive got them thanks
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia