Author Topic: Francis Boston born 1807  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Andrew K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Boston born 1807
« on: Wednesday 17 February 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Good morning and I hope someone may be able to help me.
In 1848 my great, great, great grandfather Francis Boston died in Liverpool, England, just a few months after his daughter Lourina was born.
Family legend and physical appearance throughout generations, confirmed by the research I have done so far, suggest strongly that Francis (who was listed as a boarding house keeper on his marriage and death certificates) was black.
On his marriage certficate from 1847 it states that his father's name was Cato and that he was a livery worker.
We also know from his death certificate that he was born in 1807 but there is no suggestion as to where he was born.
A google search from Cato Boston finds several mentions from the USA, mostly as slaves but some as free men, but all do seem to be black.
I would absolutely love to be able to find out where and when Francis was born and who exactly Cato was.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Andrew

Offline Andrew K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Boston born 1807
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, looking at the number of replies most posters get on this fantastic forum I have done well to go for three days without even one. So I thought I would reply to myself.
Even after 29 views no-one seems to be able to let me know if they have found information on Francis Boston, born 1807 the son of Cato Boston.
I suppose this could indicate that no records exist so it could be the end of my search, which is a shame. Perhaps he wasn't born in the US after all.
Anyway, for those who have looked and probably tried to help, thanks.
Andrew

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
You can probably rule out the Cato Boston who was living in Vermont in 1812.  In a book found on the internet, Cato (whose real name was Christopher Melbone) worked in Dr. Power's family for many years.  In 1812, Cato enlisted in the military and was never heard from again.  There is no mention of his family.
----------
Another internet search shows that the above Cato apparently is not on 1812 lists.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Andrew K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
I guess it is just going to be a piece of luck that someone stumbles across a Cato who has a son called Francis in 1807 - oh and then knows that I am looking for him of course.

Offline Holtie22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
The reference to Christopher Melbone above is from the History of Woodstock, Vermont, by Henry Swan Dana, 1889.  The 1790 U.S. Census shows a Cato Boston in Woodstock with 3 members in his household.  Since I live in Woodstock, perhaps I can check the Vital Records at the Town Clerk's Office to see if there was a Francis Boston born in 1807.

Offline Andrew K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 18:46 BST (UK) »
That would be excellent thank you.

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 06:30 BST (UK) »
Link to information on a Cato Boston aka Christopher Malbone/Melbone which gives a bit of background and appears to show he was in Berkshire, Franklin County, Vermont on 21 Oct. 1813. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08ju/

dollylee

Offline Andrew K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, this will be very interestiong if I can link it to Francis Boston.

Offline Holtie22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
I checked the Vital Records in the Woodstock Town Clerk's Office today.  There was no listing in either Births, Deaths, or Marriages for anyone named Boston.  Sorry.