Author Topic: Did Army Schoolmasters live in or out of Barracks?  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Did Army Schoolmasters live in or out of Barracks?
« on: Saturday 19 March 05 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I have one index, from the internet, of my ancestor in Portsea, out of Barracks. Should I assume he would have been in a private house in previous and subsequent censuses?
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Did Army Schoolmasters live in or out of Barracks?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 04:32 BST (UK) »
Sheldon,try the Army Education Corp,they were in units that went to locations as needed,from a central location,in all theatres.Regimental they were,with a light blue beret.So barracks is my guess.
                            Cheers,Goggy.

Offline COVENANTOR1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 05 01:38 BST (UK) »
I suppose it depends on the period we're discussing. I lived in married quarters in Egypt between 1948 & 1950 as a boy and the school  teachers were mostly serving sergeants in the Royal Army Education Corps (though the Headmistress was a civilian), so would have lived in barracks. Having said that the camp was very large, the perimeter being overt 26 miles long, and as there was nothing but desert outside the wire, everyone lived in barracks anyway. Army teachers instructed me when I joined the Army as a boy soldier in 1954 but by this time  they were mostly Warrant Officers & Officers and they lived within the garrison
Wiltshire, Market Lavington/Urchfont:- FERRIS, WILTSHIRE, SAINSBURY, FILLIS, ASHER,
Wiltshire, Shrewton Area:- FERRIS, BLAKE, CANNINGS
Devon (East):- BASTING, AP(P)LIN(G). PADY

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 05 02:57 BST (UK) »
G,Day Covenanter,
just had a gildy shufti at Google,Royal Army Education Corp,interesting.As was your thumbnail sketch of the old camp,wasit T.e.k by any chance?
                        Cheers,Goggy.

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 05 13:40 BST (UK) »
Im talking the mid 1850s. 1881 British Census has him in Portsea, but from 1864 to 1873 he was in the East Indies according to the birthplaces of his children.  I think Ive Googled every possible Army Education Corp there is, but still am none the wiser.
Thanks for the help.
Sheldon.
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline COVENANTOR1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 05 23:58 BST (UK) »
And good day to you too Goony, sieeda
We aren't going to bore people  with a lot of Egyptian arabic are we? It may upset the Moderator bardin
Yes it was Tel el Kebir, great place for kids to play. Sorry moderator, off topic, won't happen again
Wiltshire, Market Lavington/Urchfont:- FERRIS, WILTSHIRE, SAINSBURY, FILLIS, ASHER,
Wiltshire, Shrewton Area:- FERRIS, BLAKE, CANNINGS
Devon (East):- BASTING, AP(P)LIN(G). PADY